Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT v6 engine stalls on start up

bazco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive wagon
Hi all,
I've a problem with my car.
Every time I go to start the engine it stalls.
I never had to use the throttle when cranking engine over to start it ... but now if I don't, it'll fire up then almost straight away it stops. Could this be the airflow meter? or something more sinister...LOL.

Cheers
Bazz

chuffy69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx commodore lumina
I am having the same problem with a 2001 vx commodore, the engine will kick over then immediately stall, it only does this sometimes however and im also at a loss as to what is the problem.
Yesterday my car started first time, i drove it round numerous times during the day, each time startting first go and then last night went to start it and started having this problem again.
any light on the situation would be good.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Not really sinister, I had this a few months ago and was stumped. My son came over and looked in the engine bay. "there's your problem" The pipe that connects the airbox to the throttle body had come off at bottom of the throttle body. Not much but enough to stuff the afm signal. may not be your problem but I hope it is as it's an easy fix. On the symptoms you are describing, could also be vacuum leak or fuel filter, maybe.

bazco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive wagon
Yes you could be right, I'll look at it tomorrow....the air cond has just crapped out again so I've got to take it back to mechanic to get it looked at again!!
Cheers
Bazz