Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 exec Coolant Issue

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

Just asking on behalf of a mate with a VT V6, he has been having a bit of trouble with the cooling system lately, in that the car isn't overheating or showing anything abnormal on the gauge, but a few times when he has turned it off, you can hear the coolant boiling at the overflow tank, it basically sounds like a kettle... It has also dumped a fair bit of coolant out of the reservoir tank overflow too.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this to happen? We don't think the reservoir tank is too full, but the issue seems to be happening intermittantly. Checked the radiator last night and there was still plenty of coolant in there, but we did have to top up the overflow tank with about 500mL of water.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi All,

Just asking on behalf of a mate with a VT V6, he has been having a bit of trouble with the cooling system lately, in that the car isn't overheating or showing anything abnormal on the gauge, but a few times when he has turned it off, you can hear the coolant boiling at the overflow tank, it basically sounds like a kettle... It has also dumped a fair bit of coolant out of the reservoir tank overflow too.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this to happen? We don't think the reservoir tank is too full, but the issue seems to be happening intermittantly. Checked the radiator last night and there was still plenty of coolant in there, but we did have to top up the overflow tank with about 500mL of water.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Try replacing the radiator cap, I think that is the problem.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
yep +1 on radiator cap. i had the exact problem, when it heats up it starts bubbling and **** in the overflow. When it cools down it sucks it back into the radiator, making it look like there's enough coolant still.

There are 3 seals on the radiator cap

1: sealing the top of the radiator
2: a valve that opens when the pressure in the system gets to a certain psi to let it flow into the overflow (this will be the one broken)
3: a valve that makes a vacuum when it cools down sucking the coolant back from the overflow to the radiator.

So go to Autobarn and grab one for $11.99 like i did :D

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
might be sticky thermostat also , ie: not letting the coolant circulate and get cool

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Wow... Talk about a blast from the past! The radiator cap was kaput, so we replaced that, and it was fine until just recently when it began loosing coolant when parked, we couldn't find the source of the leak anywhere, but it ended up being a hair line crack in the radiator!