Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 fires, won't run. Codes 48, 63, 92

spechter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive
I have a VT V6 executive runabout.

It's stuck in my driveway today. All of a sudden when trying to start, if fires just fine, but then stops after 1-2 seconds.

Blipping the accelerator makes no difference.

If feels like the computer is refusing to let it run.

Strangely, at the same time, the key remote no longer works to lock/unlock the doors. Coincidence?
A spare key behaves the same, BUT it is very old and was sitting in a drawer so it may have been bung already.

I got the flash codes and they are:
48=cam angle sensor, no signal
63=LH oxygen sensor, no signal
92=Low speed fan fault

It's an old runabout that I don't want to spend too much money on.

QUESTION: Which of the above conditions is known to cause the engine to not run?

From a small bit of reading around I think it should still run with those error codes.
Could it be the key? Could the "fires but doesn't run" symptom be theft prevention kicking in?

Appreciate any help!

Nathan H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
To my knowledge the starter will not engage when the theft prevention is enabled. so i think you can rule that out. does sound like an electrical problem though.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
you could turn the ignition on, wait 40 or so minutes then start it. if it runs fine then it is an immobilizer issue. if not, maybe a bad relay somewhere? or poor earth perhaps

spechter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive
Does the red light on the mode switch go out when cranking?
It only cranks for a fraction of a second before firing (usually starts very easily), but it seems the red light above Mode is unlit during cranking, as far as I can tell.

spechter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive
you could turn the ignition on, wait 40 or so minutes then start it. if it runs fine then it is an immobilizer issue. if not, maybe a bad relay somewhere? or poor earth perhaps
Thanks Nathan. Waiting my 40 minutes now.
Any tips where to look for relay/earth problem?

spechter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive
Should be all ready out once unlocked.
Ah, right. we may be onto something here.
The light above mode is slow flashing, all the time, even with key in On/run position. And continues slow flashing before and after I crank it.

Does the slow flashing mean the immobiliser is engaged?
As I said above - None of the keys are working to remote unlock, (I have been unlocking via door barrel) so maybe the car has forgotten my keys' rolling codes or something...

I just disconnected the battery for >5 mins, reconnected and tried again.
Same symptoms - It cranks, fires just fine, but then gracefully stalls out after just a few revs. - Back to Mode light flashing.

If I try it again immediately - It doesn't crank. But if I lock/unlock the car, SOMETIMES it cranks again.

It feels a lot like it doesn't like the key(s)... But it's strange that sometimes it cranks...

Is there a process to re-sync the key(s)?

angle sensor or DFI, also is your fuel pump working?

Crank angle sensor or Cam angle sensor? I believe the Crank sensor may show symptoms like this, but there is no error code for that. Should I not trust the error codes?
I guess the fuel pump is fine. It FIRES like a champ, no problem, every time, if I get it to crank. It just stops immediately after firing. No spluttering, just stops gracefully.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Try pressing the unlock button on the remote immediately before turning the key to start it.
Red light flashing=immobilizer on.