Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 Fuel Injectors leaking from the top

Harey

Reaction score
Fuel injectors keep leaking from the top!

I had a rough idle and worked out that one of my injectors had a broken pintle cap on the bottom so was letting air out from the manifold.

I decided to purchase a remanufactured set of fuel injectors. I pulled out the old injectors and put in the new set using a little bit of vaseline to get them to go in easily. When I turned the key fuel was leaking out the front left injector. Ok so I switched injectors, still leaking out only the front left injector. I repeated this and always the front left injector.

So I came to the conclusion that it was the fuel rail. I purchased another second hand fuel rail and installed it this morning. But now the rear left fuel injector is leaking. Same thing, if I switch injectors, it always leaks from the rear left fuel injector?? I am out of ideas, please help!

Hopefully someone else has heard of this problem before

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Did you use new O rings?

Harey

Reaction score
Yes the new injectors came with new o-rings.

Also, if it was an o-ring problem then all would leak or when I switched injectors the leaking injector should be consistent. But it doesnt move with the injector, it is always the same cylinder. Which to me means some problem with the fuel rail, either its not sealing on any injector that goes there or the fuel rail is too high but I dont see how. Just strange that my original fuel rail it was always front left, now this replacement fuel is always rear left????

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Is the connection on the fuel rail where the injector plugs in spotlessly clean?

Have you checked there's not an old O ring from one of the the old injectors still jammed up in there? They can stick inside sometimes instead of coming out with the injector.

How's the intake manifold gasket. Didn't move out of place while you were tightening?

Harey

Reaction score
Yeah definitely got the old o-rings out. Didnt clean the inside of the fuel rail though.

Hmmm not sure what you mean by the intake manifold gasket moving? The fuel rail is mounted to the plenum so wouldnt it be the right height from the injector holes. If the manifold gasket had moved wouldnt it just leak air but not fuel?

Thanks for the ideas

I was hoping with such a common car that someone else would have had the same thing happen unless I am doing something really weird!

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I was thinking something might be out of alignment causing fuel rail to not sit down in place.
But if everything looks ok in that department then maybe you're bending something when pulling the fuel rails off. You've got to be careful using too much force.

A slight bit of grit or corrosion/pitting where those O rings sit will cause a leak.

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
If the O ring isnt sitting in the rail or on the injecter at exactly the right spot it will leak, any bits of debris (or forgetting to to remove the old O ring could keep it out of place) make sure the injectors are well fitted to the rails before fitting the lot to the ports. Doing it this way means as you tighten the rails down the injectors get pulled into the ports perfectly so theres no leaks at the bottom end of the injector.

Harey

Reaction score
Bought a new fuel rail from holden for $233 which came with new fuel reg, new fuel lines and new fuel line connectors. Was very happy with it, fitted it up and it fixed the problem!! No more leaks with the same injectors and o-rings.

My local holden had a fuel rail in stock, so it must be a semi common problem. Anyway, hope this helps someone else in the future!

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
hey mate i think i have leaking injectors :( can you visually see the fuel leaking when they are leaking from up top?

im getting a fuel leak on the passenger side (closest to the firewall) spark plug, it seems to be coming from the spark plug but i duno... people are saying its injectors?