Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 Fuel Rails and intake bits

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought the plenum, fuel rails, injectors and inlet manifold from the wreckers for $70. I want to clean it all up and swap it with the ones on my car. What i want to know is;

- How do i clean/flush the fuel rails?
- How do i polish the fuel rails?
- How much does it cost to get the injectors cleaned?
- How do i clean the inlet manifold (the one under the plenum) seems a bit tricky.
- I want to paint the lower bit of the plenum and inlet manifold, do i need a primer?
- How do i take off the studs that the engine cover bolted on to?

Also what gaskets and seals would i need;

- Possibly plenum cover gasket/rubber seal
- Throttle body gasket/rubber seal
- Plenum gasket/rubber seals (i think its 6 o rings?)
- Inlet manifold gasket/rubber seal
- Thermostat housing gasket
Anything else?

And finally with the;

- Gaskets, silastic on both sides?
- Rubber seals, will auto trans fluid be ok and do i cover it in oil and then insert it into the groove or insert it into the groove the just smear oil on the outside facing side?

Thanks in advance for your help.

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
righto first of all maybe a haynes or gregorys manual might be ur best mate here, for a little more step by step guidance, but as a grease monkey ill try to explain it ya lol, hold on....

to clean the rails, best to probably run some fuel in it and shake it and i mean shake it, make sure that the o rings in the fuel fitting are not cracked or you will have to go and get a whole new rail....dont think i would be overly fussed oin the zinc coated fuel rails but probably some brightshine or something like that would do the trick... ultrasonic cleaning and flow check and spray pattern could be a couple of hundred bucks, mabe worthwhile getting recos or new ones.... new set of VDO ones off ebay cost me 160 bucks, as mine were rooted.... the inlet manifold is as easy as oven cleaner and a wire brush, like a small one and some steel wool works a treat, just be careful about the faces try not to scratch them... not sure about the primer but an engine enamel of some sort would probably be the shizz....the studs that you wanna rip out, if u reusing, get a bit of wood an tap them out from the top, they are splined and just slide in from underneath.

now, previous experiance has tought me to always use new inlet maniflod gaskets, they are a plastic and rubber mix, they expand and swell then leak....plenum cover seal not a biggie but better to be safe with a new one than have troubles later, also while ur at probably pay to belt in a new PCV valve, youll find after you pull off the plenum, make sure it is the right way!!!! inlet manifold to plenum gasket is a thin metal one on some on others it is six small ones and a litller one, thermostat gasket is a paper one or some RTV silicone same as the throrrle body.... also when u pull it all off make sure u hose the cooling sytem out both ways after u put the new manifold on....

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
with the paper gaskets silicone not important, but security if u do... with the rubber ones a little oil and sometimes grease i the groove will hold the hold the rubber seal in to groove till u can get it in all the way around.... if u get stuck u know where im at....

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
- is the o rings on the fuel fail or in the fuel lines coz the feed and return lines are still on the fuel rails?
- shaking fuel in the fuel rails wouldnt really clean em up would it? should i blast it with some carby cleaner?
- what does the PCV valve do?
- What about the gasket from inlet manifold to heads?

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
ummm u cant replace the ones in the fuel fittings, but there are 2 on each injector though, would probably be best to get new ones just to be sure angainst fuel and vacuum leaks... carby cleaner, probably wouldn't go astray lol didn't think of that.... um PCV valve lets the engine draw in fresh air from the intake under the plenum, and then the engine sucks in all the blow by gases created in the engine and burns them to lower emissions.... if it gets old, what will happen is it stick open and not seal and your engine will run like **** and fill your engine with oil and then it will take u a good month to get it all out.... and f*ck your O2 sensors and plugs..... the gasket from the heads to inlet is a plastic rubber combination, they dont require sealant, i usually put a little oil on them and bobs ur uncle...