Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt v6 head gasket on wrong side?

scotybe

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
i just put new gasket in and stupidly put gasket on wrong side...
what would happen??

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It will probably block off some of the water jacket ports between he block and head. It will need to be removed and refitted correctly. On ecotec engines the right hand cylinder head gasket has a 5mm identification hole, the left cylinder head gasket has a letter L stamped into the gasket. Both markings must be visible when the cylinder heads are fitted. Also the arrows on both gaskets must face the front of the engine.
If you got yourself a workshop manual to follow, these things wouldnt happen..

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Quick question, I have l67 heads but am unsure which is the right side head and left side head? Does it matter which head goes where?
Thanksbin advance

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Yes, you can fit them to either side. They're the same.

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Yes, you can fit them to either side. They're the same.

Also have a question regarding the rocker bolts, can they be reused as Holden have told me they can be reused?

I also have the stock rockers and pushrods mixed up that should be a problem due to it being factory rockers?
Thanks in advance

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
No problem reusing the bolts - just don’t use the factory torque specs. Because you may snap them. I’ve reused them many times without issue.

Shouldn’t mix rockers as a matter of principle but it won’t cause any damage in your case - they’ll be fine.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Also have a question regarding the rocker bolts, can they be reused as Holden have told me they can be reused?

I also have the stock rockers and pushrods mixed up that should be a problem due to it being factory rockers?
Thanks in advance
Rockers n pushrods all wear different so yes you could but no you should not. It may rattle. The engine bolts lm of the understanding as long as removed at a certain temp can be re used, head bolts nead to be removed in a sequenced pattern being the tourq down proceedure in reverse, outside to in also at a temp.

Last edited:

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Thanks guys, when I got the head back from the machinist the rockers were just slapped in a bag, to my advantage is they are stock rockers and pushrods so putting them in any order should be fine?

Also, as I put the head bolts back in do I apply Loctite 567 or 242?
Thanks again really appreciate your help.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Thanks guys, when I got the head back from the machinist the rockers were just slapped in a bag, to my advantage is they are stock rockers and pushrods so putting them in any order should be fine?

Also, as I put the head bolts back in do I apply Loctite 567 or 242?
Thanks again really appreciate your help.
it shouldn't be necessary and l wouldnt. But ask your machinest or call a engine builder.

Last edited: