Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt v6 head gasket on wrong side?

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
All recommended Loctite 242 on head bolts but I think I will go with Loctite 456 for head bolts as it’s water resistant too?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
All recommended Loctite 242 on head bolts but I think I will go with Loctite 456 for head bolts as it’s water resistant too?
Well there you go, l watched a genuin gm tear down and rebuild explanatory given to all service but do not recall any thread lock mentioned. Only a sealant across the sump ends from memory. I could be incorrect.

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
He said they come on the bolts itself, aftermarket bolts don’t have theeadlocker on it therefore Loctite is applied.

Last edited:

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
He said they come on the bolts itself, aftermarket bolts don’t have theeadlocker on it therefore Loctite is applied.
If you mean GM genuine have it applied then l was incorrect saying it shouldn't be needed. I do recall seeing a bolt with what looked to have a grey coating on the thread but haven't recalled its pre applied nor have l had the heads off. I've in the past on cast blocks only torked down as was of the understanding thread lock can give incorrect tourq settings. Never had any issues either. An old school mechanic advice. If l was in your position l would have called Holden before hand. So that's why l mentioned call someone. I'm fearly certain a engine builder stated it was needed for high comp engines or boosted application but don't recall a n/a engine being a necessity. But l could be wrong.

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Your right, in saying that this is a Vy l67 with stock boost

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Your right, in saying that this is a Vy l67 with stock boost
l researched the assembly criteria but it's related to a ls1. The tourq bolts are thread locked and the tourq to tourq angle were not.

Last edited:

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Hi guys,
Could someone please confirm with me the final stage of the head torque bolts will be 90nm torque? Thanks

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi guys,
Could someone please confirm with me the final stage of the head torque bolts will be 90nm torque? Thanks
l found this on a post..Head bolts: 34Nm then tighten a further 90 degrees in sequence (if torqued to90Nm during this step don't tightenanymore) Tighten a further 90 degrees in sequence a second time. Intake manifold: 15-20Nm.

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
I have actually tighten the head bolts to nearly 108nm as I was looking at foot pumps instead of nm, would that still be okay?