Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 head work gains?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I wouldn't waste money on a larger throttle body, MAF or even twin throtts. They all are a placebo effect really. The reason I say that is that they will all only be able to flow as much as the next restriction like I said earlier. Your plenum runners and head intake ports are only so big.

An efficiently performing engine will always have a balanced intake path rather than a big **** off TB and MAF all going into the standard plenum runners. By the way the MAF will stop reading at a certain amount of airflow anyways regardless of how big it goes due to the element having a limited range.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
If you're wanting to go down the heads path, expect to spend roughly $4000 to get an awesome set, plus a decent cam to make use of them. Mine are flowed to 650HP, mind you I only replaced the heads because I did every other possible thing to it.

I personally know Jack brothers in brisbane do an awesome - but pricey - job on ecotec heads.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
How pricey? And I believe I've heard of Jack Bros. before, expensive but great work right?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct, These $4000 Stage 4 spec heads are brought to you by Jack Bros. Flowed to 650HP. Larger valves are physically impossible - without a lot of work being done.
11052010249.jpg

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I wouldn't waste money on a larger throttle body, MAF or even twin throtts. They all are a placebo effect really. The reason I say that is that they will all only be able to flow as much as the next restriction like I said earlier. Your plenum runners and head intake ports are only so big.

An efficiently performing engine will always have a balanced intake path rather than a big **** off TB and MAF all going into the standard plenum runners. By the way the MAF will stop reading at a certain amount of airflow anyways regardless of how big it goes due to the element having a limited range.

I never once said that I was going to get a larger MAF they are a restriction at around 180RWKW or something close to that so I wont bother I have seen someone gain from getting a larger throttle body + there plenum chamber ported.
If I was to get the heads done I would also get the intake manifold done at the same time I would be stupid not to as I will save money doing it that way.

What would be the next restriction if I have an aftermarket CAI, K&N panel filter, High ratio RR's, Pacemaker extractors, twin cats and custom Y piece, 2.5" cat back exhaust. Apart from heads, intake manifold, cam.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
one_and_only2004 do you have specs on those heads.

You can get these I'm not sure that they're better:

MRC Performance have these aluminium heads to suit your Holden Ecotec V6.
Not only do these new heads address every shortcoming of the factory iron heads, they are one of the single largest mods you can do to improve the performance of your vehicle.
Benefits include:
· 16 pounds of weight savings, improving vehicle weight balance, launching, handling, fuel economy and braking
Increase flow provides large HP gains in every application and better engine efficiency for improved economy
· Aluminium allows higher boost and/or more compression with the same octane fuel
· 56cc chambers increase compression
· 148cc intake runners, 58cc exhaust
· Reinforcements to prevent flexing under high boost applications
· Extra material for custom port work
· Sturdy rocker stands which remove potential rocker arm movement under high loads
· Custom designed to allow the addition of extra head bolts on top and below cylinders
· 1.96 intake 1.57 exhaust valves
· Surface finish of 40 ra ensures perfect sealing with any head gaskets

Complete heads - Assembled and ready to bolt on. (Complete with 130# springs, REV valves, hardened seats, guides, valve seals, retainers, keepers. Setup for up to .600 lift)
Weight: 4.00 kg
Price: $ 3,300.00

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
You haven't got much left, Half your breathing in is setup, your breathing out looks good

MAF, throttle body, intake manifold and heads are what's choking the motor.

Yeah I know that's why I was asking the original question cause when the guy I spoke to said there will be no real gain I wanted to find out from people that may have done before I don't care if there are no KW/HP gains on a dyno just as long as there are gains while actually driving.

Also the guy that I spoke to said that you can not get bigger valves for the ecotec heads cause they are as big as they can be does this sound right?

Last edited:

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Also the guy that I spoke to said that you can not get bigger valves for the ecotec heads cause they are as big as they can be does this sound right?

Sounds like this guy is an idiot who doesn't know what's going on. I have seen the same set of heads that i've got on an NA application, and it was nothing to sneeze at - very fun to drive.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
$4000 on Ecotec heads? Bit rich for my liking there. That's the same price as a built bottom end which would actually give you more power with upped comp ratio etc etc.

Yeah i vouch for ecotec heads happily taking bigger valves. I run 1.90" intake and 1.57" exhaust valves with all the same hardware as these ones. INTENSE-Racing.com: INTENSE™ Stage 4 CNC Cylinder Heads (pair)

Sorta shows that $4g is a waste on heads. You can get ZZP alloy heads for around $3000 landed from the states pr these Intense racing iron heads for a bit less. there are also a few good shops around in AUS that are more than competent. After all good head shops apply a formula to the ports and replicate thate as closely as possible from one port to the next.