Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt v6 keeps coming up with fault code 47 18x input missing or grounded???

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
Hi guys, my car has given me a headache this week. First car stalled, then refused to start. Put a scanner on computer, came up with cam/crank sensor fault, so replaced both cam and crank angle sensors and with a brand new harmonic balancer. Started car, worked, let warm up, turned car off and tried to start it, got nothing. checked for fault codes again, fault 47 18x input missing or grounded? what does this actually mean and how can i go about fixing it???

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Try swapping your dfi module and coils over with a known good one and see if that fixes it.
It can be either the cas or dfi module (and plugs on both) that cause that code.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, that is a CAS fault but it could possibly be a plug issue. As above, try removing and cleaning the plugs in both the CAS and the DFI module and ensure they are fitted properly. If that doesn't fix it borrow a known working DFI module and retest. If still no go than you will need to change the CAS which means you need to remover the harmonic balancer.

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
Yep, that is a CAS fault but it could possibly be a plug issue. As above, try removing and cleaning the plugs in both the CAS and the DFI module and ensure they are fitted properly. If that doesn't fix it borrow a known working DFI module and retest. If still no go than you will need to change the CAS which means you need to remover the harmonic balancer.

DFI and ignition coils are both 4 months old, MSD coil packs. I have replaced the CAS twice in last week as first one got damaged by a new harmonic balancer i had didnt fit. ordered another HB and CAS and put in car, starts and idles, but wont restart first go without clearing fault codes for fault 47. So annoying!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Then you could very well be looking at a fault in the wiring loom or plugs.

A work mate was trying to figure out a random engine stalling problem on a VY V6, the issue in the end was some oil in the CAS plug causing a poor connection.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 l67 commodore berlina
hi , ive got a code 47 on my vx l67 the symptoms r engine hesitation when u punch it once warm, when its cold its fine! i hav replaced plugs leads ingition pack, tps, cas, and o2 sensors. its still doing it & the code is still popping up. not sure what 2 do. maybe ignore the code & look at fuel pump?

Reaction score
Members Ride
fixed hesitation needed fuel injectors but the car didnt come good for about 3 days after installing injectors, so im thinking the petrol may hav inturn cleaned the valves !

Semi Driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3800 Series ii Sedan
I have codes 47 and 44 on my '99 VT
The engine temp drops from between 1/4 and 1/2 to between 0 and 1/4 just before these 2 faults show up.
I have disconnected, cleaned and reconnected the CAS and same symptoms persist.
Please advise by email to :- [email protected]

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have codes 47 and 44 on my '99 VT
The engine temp drops from between 1/4 and 1/2 to between 0 and 1/4 just before these 2 faults show up.
I have disconnected, cleaned and reconnected the CAS and same symptoms persist.
Please advise by email to :- [email protected]
Well cade 44 is lean exhaust code 47 is ignition moduel & coils also plugs & leads that will properly b your problem but the temperature problem is gonna b your thermostate. Just a coinsidance that its all happened @ once.