Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 manual conversion, clutch pedal to suit T5 transmission?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Planning a manual conversion for my VT V6 but with the older T5 transmission which uses a clutch cable rather than a hydraulic clutch system. I'd like to retain the cable operated clutch setup if at all possible.

Parts that I have available are, a full VN manual transmission with all the bits including VN clutch pedal assembly etc.

How are people getting around the clutch pedal issue with a T5 in a VT?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'd like to retain the cable operated clutch setup if at all possible.
Is that just to try and cut down on fab?

Short of making your own pedal box, I think that most who go down this route either make up a slave cylinder setup (seems to be a few yank shops offering kits too) or use a T56, partially because both boxes possibly need a tailshaft made anyway depending on their situation (unsure if you can use half of the VN and half of the VT shaft). I know of people who are even retrofitting hydraulic setups to VR/VS T5s.

Adding a slave wouldn't be that hard either, just mount it in the right place to push against the fork and run some flexible clutch line to the master cylinder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I prefer the feel of the old cable clutch, never yet driven a hydraulic clutch that I like the feel off, always seems vague to me to find the pick up point on the clutch. But if hydraulic is the only option than that might have to do. But it's my least preferred option.