Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 (non-supercharged) power issues under load

kornchief313

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore vs 1996
Hi team,

I have an issue with a VT V6 non-supercharged. I 'think' it is the fuel pump.

When starting the car, it idles okay but when putting load on the throttle, it bogs down. It will keep bogging down and go to stall if I don't lift off the throttle.

There is also a yuck, possibly rich used fuel smell from the exhaust when revving heaps.

If I get the revs through the bogging and at high revs (>3.5k) it will run reasonably okay. It seems to bog when WOT from idle to 3.5k revs. If I pump the throttle through the idle to 3.5k revs, I can get it through the bog stage and keep the revs up. If I WOT, it will bog and look to stall.

I have checked spark plugs, leads, air, checked coils (as I have a new tester coil). All of which are good.

I am down to fuel related. I changed the fuel filter a year or so ago with an SCA, so will probably need to replace that and test again.

I noticed a small drip of fuel from the fuel inlet line to the passenger side fuel rail, so I cut the split off and reconnected the fuel line, but still having the same issues.

The other test that I have done is a Fuel Pressure Test, with the following results.

I put the fuel pressure tester on the fuel inlet rail, before the fuel rail on the passenger side of the engine.

When putting the car to ignition, it went to just under 2 BAR. Probably around 170-190kPa. (see image below)

20200708_162640.jpg

When starting and idling, it stays around the 170-190kPa.

When putting the throttle under load and having the bogging symptoms, it reduces to 130-160kPa.

The manual specifies it should be 290-410kPa or almost 3 BAR for non-supercharged.

My question is, does this look like a fuel pump and/or filter issue?
Should the fuel pressure kPa increase or decrease when increasing the revs?
Should the kPa sit at 290-410kPa when turning on the ignition?
Should the kPa sit at 290-410kPa when idling?

Full talk of fuel in the car so not looking forward to dropping the tank to inspect the fuel pump and fuel pump lead :eek:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If I remember correctly the VT V6 FPR is rated at 3.5bar, with the engine under full vacuum of idle that pressure will drop some.

The simplest way to test is to start the engine, remove the vacuum hose on the back of the FPR and you should see 3.5 bar (or close to) fuel pressure, than reconnect the vacuum hose and the fuel pressure should drop maybe .5 bar .

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Hi team,

I have an issue with a VT V6 non-supercharged. I 'think' it is the fuel pump.

When starting the car, it idles okay but when putting load on the throttle, it bogs down. It will keep bogging down and go to stall if I don't lift off the throttle.

There is also a yuck, possibly rich used fuel smell from the exhaust when revving heaps.

If I get the revs through the bogging and at high revs (>3.5k) it will run reasonably okay. It seems to bog when WOT from idle to 3.5k revs. If I pump the throttle through the idle to 3.5k revs, I can get it through the bog stage and keep the revs up. If I WOT, it will bog and look to stall.

I have checked spark plugs, leads, air, checked coils (as I have a new tester coil). All of which are good.

I am down to fuel related. I changed the fuel filter a year or so ago with an SCA, so will probably need to replace that and test again.

I noticed a small drip of fuel from the fuel inlet line to the passenger side fuel rail, so I cut the split off and reconnected the fuel line, but still having the same issues.

The other test that I have done is a Fuel Pressure Test, with the following results.

I put the fuel pressure tester on the fuel inlet rail, before the fuel rail on the passenger side of the engine.

When putting the car to ignition, it went to just under 2 BAR. Probably around 170-190kPa. (see image below)

View attachment 212201

When starting and idling, it stays around the 170-190kPa.

When putting the throttle under load and having the bogging symptoms, it reduces to 130-160kPa.

The manual specifies it should be 290-410kPa or almost 3 BAR for non-supercharged.

My question is, does this look like a fuel pump and/or filter issue?
Should the fuel pressure kPa increase or decrease when increasing the revs?
Should the kPa sit at 290-410kPa when turning on the ignition?
Should the kPa sit at 290-410kPa when idling?

Full talk of fuel in the car so not looking forward to dropping the tank to inspect the fuel pump and fuel pump lead :eek:
that kpa pressure of 290-410 is for the supercharged, standard pressure at ignition on is 270-350kpa.
anything lower would indicate a possible restriction somewhere along the fuel system, even pump is on its last legs

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Do a fuel flow test to check for restrictions.
Take the fuel line off at the engine and put it into a jar or bucket. Turn on the ignition and fuel should flow out solidly for a second or two. If it dribbles or changes flow quickly there is a restriction.
The manual will have flow specs if you want to look it up.

kornchief313

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore vs 1996
1594204065414.png

that kpa pressure of 290-410 is for the supercharged, standard pressure at ignition on is 270-350kpa.
anything lower would indicate a possible restriction somewhere along the fuel system, even pump is on its last legs

Hi Vin,

When looking at the VT manual, the 270-350 is for the supercharger :confused:

kornchief313

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore vs 1996
Do a fuel flow test to check for restrictions.
Take the fuel line off at the engine and put it into a jar or bucket. Turn on the ignition and fuel should flow out solidly for a second or two. If it dribbles or changes flow quickly there is a restriction.
The manual will have flow specs if you want to look it up.

The only test i can find for the fuel is....
1594204917581.png

Wondering if anyone knows roughly how much (in a bucket in milliliters) that should be pumped out when turning on the ignition?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That manual is wrong. The supercharged engines run more fuel pressure as it is boost referenced.

Take a good look on the pressure reg, I'm certain it will be stamped with 3.5 bar somewhere on the body.

kornchief313

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore vs 1996
That manual is wrong. The supercharged engines run more fuel pressure as it is boost referenced.

Take a good look on the pressure reg, I'm certain it will be stamped with 3.5 bar somewhere on the body.

Ill check it out and see what i can find ;)