Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt v6 temp gauge issue

Desertstar987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore BT1 V8
My old vt wagon has an issue where the temp gauge randomly shoots right up to red hot range, triggering the overheat warning on the dash. The car clearly isn't overheating however. Usually the gauge will drop back to normal range pretty quick but this situation will reoccur at random. I changed-out the coolant temp sensor but this hasn't fixed the problem. I did notice the wiring for the plug that fits to the sensor has some wear (from rubbing I'd guess) but doesn't seem broken. Also I'd have thought if this was the cause, there'd never be power to the sensor, not intermittent power? I'm no mechanic but I'm reasonably practical with working on minor car stuff.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
My old vt wagon has an issue where the temp gauge randomly shoots right up to red hot range, triggering the overheat warning on the dash. The car clearly isn't overheating however. Usually the gauge will drop back to normal range pretty quick but this situation will reoccur at random. I changed-out the coolant temp sensor but this hasn't fixed the problem. I did notice the wiring for the plug that fits to the sensor has some wear (from rubbing I'd guess) but doesn't seem broken. Also I'd have thought if this was the cause, there'd never be power to the sensor, not intermittent power? I'm no mechanic but I'm reasonably practical with working on minor car stuff.
Maybe air trapped in the system? Have you tried bleeding the coolant system?
I would just fix that temp sensor wiring before it goes cactus.