Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 temp gauge sender location

No9

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S/VE Omega 60th Anniversary
Need help i have a august build 98 vt executive and the temp gauge stays between the first and second line,it never goes beyond that but the engine feels hotter. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor but can not find a gauge sender. The haynes book says its just to the left of the sensor but there is nothing there at all and no single wire. Could there be another location,any help would be much appreciated.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
If you are not getting a correct reading on your temperature gauge in the instrument cluster, you need to replace the temperature sender, which is located just below that water outlet, its the small brass thing with the rectangular black clip/plug on it. Another thing to check is the operation of the thermostat, it could be stuck open, causing the gauge to read low, as well as the engine running colder than it should be. Both are cheap so best to replace both and the thermostat go buy an original unit as their made to fit the housing opening properly.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The diagram below is from a VS V6, but I think the temperature sender in the VT V6 is still in the same location.

upload_2019-1-15_19-49-52.png

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VT has only one temp sensor for the PCM and the dash temp gauge is driven from the PCM. Put the dash into diagnostic mode and see what the digital temp reading is.