Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 , VERY rough noisy idle, won't run/rev

sticksicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer ma
Hi All. Great site here!
I've searched for info on my problem here and not found much useful, hence this post:
I've a Series 1 VT V6, 300K kms, auto, well maintained and serviced. Driven spiritedly :)
The other day a twat ran me off the freeway into the middle stop lane. I had to floor it to get back to the speed limit on a blind 100kmh corner.
Engine may have revved to/over 4,000 breifly, oil is not low.
After this it drove fine and stopped and started as normal.
Later in the day it stopped driving fine and idles very very badly and won't rev. There is a 'tinking' noise in the top of the motor.
I've recently done the Crank Angle Sensor and the coils and fuel systems, plugs and leads are tested and fine.
I did drive a few weeks with a dodgey spark lead on Number 4........:(
My mechanic has tested the compression on all cylinders and all are good except Number 4, which has ZERO compression.
Before I call the wrecker, is there anything simple I've missed, or is it likely as fecked as it sounds?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The lead and plug on cylinder 4 might be knackered , or the injector on 4 is cactus too

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Might be a broken valve spring. Take the rocker cover off and have a look

sticksicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer ma
Thanks.
And when it does 'run/idle/cough/fart/snort' it doesn't blow any black smoke like it would with a fecked DFI module or faulty MAF.

sticksicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer ma
A mechanic did pull off the harmonic balancer very recently, to replace the CAS behind it.
Is there anything that could have been damaged by this, that would lead to say, slippage in the timing chain systems down the track.
Seriously, it runs like a slipped chain has put out all the timing.....in which case my motor is well and truly screwed.....but then, so is the mechanic :/

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi All. Great site here!
I've searched for info on my problem here and not found much useful, hence this post:
I've a Series 1 VT V6, 300K kms, auto, well maintained and serviced. Driven spiritedly :)
The other day a twat ran me off the freeway into the middle stop lane. I had to floor it to get back to the speed limit on a blind 100kmh corner.
Engine may have revved to/over 4,000 breifly, oil is not low.
After this it drove fine and stopped and started as normal.
Later in the day it stopped driving fine and idles very very badly and won't rev. There is a 'tinking' noise in the top of the motor.
I've recently done the Crank Angle Sensor and the coils and fuel systems, plugs and leads are tested and fine.
I did drive a few weeks with a dodgey spark lead on Number 4........:(
My mechanic has tested the compression on all cylinders and all are good except Number 4, which has ZERO compression.
Before I call the wrecker, is there anything simple I've missed, or is it likely as fecked as it sounds?
lt certainly could not drive fine on 5 cylinders.

sticksicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer ma
"Might be a broken valve spring. Take the rocker cover off and have a look"
Great suggestion. Done. 1 x broken valve spring and damaged retainer and 2 x collets found !
Pics to follow....

sticksicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer ma
Might be a broken valve spring. Take the rocker cover off and have a look
20181217_200750[1].jpg

Yups.

Attachments

• 20181217_194416[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 102