Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V8 Getrag into VN 5ltr auto - wiring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cam1984, May 22, 2020.

1. Cam1984

Cam1984 New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Calais 5.0
    I have a defected VT SS and want to put the getrag into a 5ltr 1990 VN. I've done all the pedals but need to know what troubles I'll run into with wiring. I've searched but can't get a straight answer. Do I need to change to a VS loom and VS V8 manual ECU? Or can I run the VN ECU and loom with changes? Thanks.

2. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    You can run the VN loom but you will need a converter for the speedo. But easier to run VS loom. But series 3 VS is not compatible with series 2.

3. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    No straight forward due to several differences that make the conversion a headache to work properly...t5 or t56 be way easier.

Vt getrag speedo signal goes through harness into ecu & different signal etc.IIrc vt getrag has vss in casing & vs v8 getrag external on slip yoke?

Probably simpler to swap vt engine-g/box ecu etc & wire all that in then tap purple dash speedo wire to ecu speedo signal then see if works correctly or needs corrector.

4. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    I was speaking to one of our auto elecs and he said VS III onwards so VT used a different signal than VS II backwards. I have a VY T-56 in my VS II so I need a signal converter. He has a VR with T-56.

5. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Getrag has different signal wave to 4l60e auto.

That is why in this case I'd do vt conversion & tap speedo wire to ecu as that should work...it was how vs 304/4l60e into vp ute & speedo was 100% correct to my surprise.

Getrag vss goes through ecu then to speedo so that's how I'd it if you want everything to work 100%

t56 you can get around it with aftermarket parts if no holden parts fix that issue although vr/s had 6 speed models so it's much easier to fix unlike getrag setup.