Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt v8 or turbo?

hosedogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl sl 5spd 6 n/a turbo convert '88
heya. i'm just wondering what you guys and gals think would be the better option for my vl. i'm tossing up either getting a vt v8 to put in my vl or to turbo the standard 3L. atm my car has complete stock running gear. oh and i dont really care to much bout fuel. few questions. 1) what do you think would be a better option? 2) which would work out cheaper? 3) which one would end of being better bang for the buck? i'm aiming for 200kw atw's. cheers.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
heya. i'm just wondering what you guys and gals think would be the better option for my vl. i'm tossing up either getting a vt v8 to put in my vl or to turbo the standard 3L. atm my car has complete stock running gear. oh and i dont really care to much bout fuel. few questions. 1) what do you think would be a better option? 2) which would work out cheaper? 3) which one would end of being better bang for the buck? i'm aiming for 200kw atw's. cheers.

If your after that power, Turbo will be alot cheaper.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Are you interested in doin the stock setup of either? A stock VLT setup can be as cheap as 1000-1200, not including upgrading the tranny and diff.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
ah true, didnt read that bit, well a vlt only puts out 150 at the fly, so i dunno how many kw that is at the wheels. 200rwkw defintnalty not stock.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah but thats what ther were in the VL. He wants either a turbo 3l of a VT injected. probably more around the 160kw mark, i'm sure someone knows the actual stats 160 is just a guess.

well turbo would be heaps cheaper, easier, quicker and more common, if you want to be origional go with the VT 5l, but it wont be cheap, loom, gearbox ecu, sure theres lots more