Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt VDO dash dial

98vtberinla

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
hi everyone ive got a vt and i just brought a VDO dash dial face i know the instument cluster has to come out but what im not sure on is there is a plate sitting on top of the speedo{thin line of plastic going inbetween the temp and the speedo section between the fuel and the revs and all around the edge of the whole thing }how does this plate come off???i cannot see any screws for it
could some plz help me out i dont want to take it all apart and get stuck
cheers

lordfarquar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec series 1 and vt series 2 acclaim
it's held on by the suround when you take it out you will see the plastic just clips on use a thin screwdriver to press the tabs(clips) down

M

mwb235

hi everyone ive got a vt and i just brought a VDO dash dial face i know the instument cluster has to come out but what im not sure on is there is a plate sitting on top of the speedo{thin line of plastic going inbetween the temp and the speedo section between the fuel and the revs and all around the edge of the whole thing }how does this plate come off???i cannot see any screws for it
could some plz help me out i dont want to take it all apart and get stuck
cheers

Here are some pics that might help.

First, you prize apart the black plastic front and back halves with a flat screwdriver. Be careful not to push the screwdriver in too hard, or you might scratch the dial face (easily done if not careful!).

The clear plastic mask can be removed from the front half the same way, if required. Be careful not to break the plastic tabs.

The thin flat plastic dial surround (black in pic, may be silver) justs lifts off.

If you need to replace the dial face, carefully prize the speedo needles off by levering them up using some sort of flat tool (like the one shown in the pic). Put something under whatever tool you use as the dial face is easily scratched. The dial face can then be removed by lifting it up at the edges.

When replacing the needles don't push them down all the way, leave room for them to clear the dial face. For the km/h needle for example, push it on at say 80km/h then gently twist anti-clockwise to rest exactly on 0 (zero). Do the same for the others. The rpm needle also goes exactly on zero at rest. BUT the fuel gauge and temp gauge the needles rest slightly under E (empty) or cold respectively - see how the fuel gauge needle sits in pic.

If the dial face is dirty, you can clean it using a moist lint-free cloth. I find a damp (wrung out) chamois leather is the best for doing this. At least the VT/VX dials are much easier to clean than VN-VS ones which are stuffed if you get any fingerprints on them!

If you're just replacing the dial face, you won't need to remove the six screws in the cluster at all (as shown in pic) unless you need to replace a guage or access the circuitry at the back etc.

I hope that helps & good luck.

Attachments

• VT VX cluster #1a (resized).jpg
    VT VX cluster #1a (resized).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 766
  • VT VX cluster #1 (resized).jpg
    VT VX cluster #1 (resized).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,588
  • VT VX cluster #1b (resized).jpg
    VT VX cluster #1b (resized).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,795
  • VT VX cluster cover (resized).JPG
    VT VX cluster cover (resized).JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 546
  • VT VX cluster #1c (resized).JPG
    VT VX cluster #1c (resized).JPG
    126 KB · Views: 862
Last edited by a moderator:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i wouldnt suggest wen re setting the needles 2 put them on exactly the 0 mark of the rmp and speedo, same with ur temp and fuel needles as each cluster is calibrated differently so they will more then likely b out.

If u got a VX or higher level VT cluster u can use ur mode button and use the hidden menu 2 check ur needles correct positions.

M

mwb235

i wouldnt suggest wen re setting the needles 2 put them on exactly the 0 mark of the rmp and speedo, same with ur temp and fuel needles as each cluster is calibrated differently so they will more then likely b out.

I've never seen anything else other than 0 for the rpm and speedo, and just below C and E for the temp and fuel gauges, on all the VT/VX and WH cars i've seen. Same on the 250km/h HSV's. But who knows maybe there were exceptions.

I don't know how VDO go about replacing the needles, perhaps there's a guide available somewhere?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Well with the 5 spare VT/VX clusters i have on me they r all different and wen i work on them on customers cars they all have some wat variation in them. Its only the lower end model VT's that r harder 2 re adjust the needles as they dont have the "check needles" option in the hidden menu.