Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT verses VN to VS heads

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Hey , just wondering the advantages of the Vt heads = know they can create more compression.
I have a VR serious 2 to rebuild = will be at least a 355,starmanifoild .
, hopefully spend coin on reducing power samping e.g. thermo fans and electronic water pump.
Soo is it worth spending coin on VT heads or just , because already going to spend some on the VR heads go with them?a roller cam

Also add hope to spend = e.g. a roller cam

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Since your doing a full engine build you can just use pistons, 0 decking the block etc to get your desired compression ratio

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If you got them already they're fine but not necessary.

Generally the later the block or heads more likely to have core shift.

Set of flat tops & decking the block with thinner gaskets gets better burn plus less off heads & manifold.

Won't be crazy power hike going thermofan but will notice the noise difference & how much easier engine wants to rev...roller cam 195i,thermofans + shorter diff gears in torrie made you think it was a freaky 304 compare to other stockers

Personally I prefer to have stock waterpump...fit & forget ultra reliable just make sure it's cast impellor.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Forgot to add depending on cam & comp ratio can get decent power bump with larger intake valve & quicky grind work for bumps/dags in the ports.

May not be necessary though.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you got them already they're fine but not necessary.

Generally the later the block or heads more likely to have core shift.

Set of flat tops & decking the block with thinner gaskets gets better burn plus less off heads & manifold.

Won't be crazy power hike going thermofan but will notice the noise difference & how much easier engine wants to rev...roller cam 195i,thermofans + shorter diff gears in torrie made you think it was a freaky 304 compare to other stockers

Personally I prefer to have stock waterpump...fit & forget ultra reliable just make sure it's cast impellor.

Yeah / no don't have and figured not worth , = spend that coin on machining thought I'd ask/ check.
Yeah if money no object , but figure thermos and electric pump will be first on the cutting block.
Also because still figure on incorporating the hsv intake into a mace style behind the headlight feed airbox is style wise not really in keeping / and a waste.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Forgot to add depending on cam & comp ratio can get decent power bump with larger intake valve & quicky grind work for bumps/dags in the ports.

May not be necessary though.

Definitely figured on coin for heads = bigger valves= surely helps even on a 355

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you can fit bigger valves then that will make decent gain. I wanted too, but too close on Buick, had to settle for grind, porting and shave.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you can fit bigger valves then that will make decent gain. I wanted too, but too close on Buick, had to settle for grind, porting and shave.

Yeah , there is a bigger valve / worked option for the 304 v8, figure/ hope it's cost effective option/ gain for me = 355 = even,thow mine more on the small side = build= well eventually.