Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT verses VN to VS heads

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably looking at $2k thereabouts for machining and valves on a pair of 304 heads. Mine came in at I think $1100. I was quoted $1300 but didn't end up needing valves. Springs alone are $300 though that was a shock to me, considering stock springs are under $150. Most 304 parts are cheaper than the equivalent in Buick though. When I bought my VRS and lifters, engine machinist near work was shocked at the cost compared to Holden V8.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeap, VT has the smaller combustion chamber (kidney shape 58cc) where as the VN-VS has D-shape 64cc chamber.
All depends if you use true flat top pistons, or 5cc dish or 8cc etc.

But if you already only have the VR heads, just skim them 10/20/30 thou to make sure they are flat and loose some chamber size.
Plus zero deck block as mentioned.

Make the most of what you already have, and as mentioned, I also have heard of the later factory stuff suffering of core shift more unfortunately.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Tbh reckon you could get away with reco heads with right combination of parts for cam/comp/intake.

zero deck,stroker & flat tops will be the majority of the gains & value.

YEA.355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 355, VP BERLINA, KENWORTH 408
Hey , just wondering the advantages of the Vt heads = know they can create more compression.
I have a VR serious 2 to rebuild = will be at least a 355,starmanifoild .
, hopefully spend coin on reducing power samping e.g. thermo fans and electronic water pump.
Soo is it worth spending coin on VT heads or just , because already going to spend some on the VR heads go with them?a roller cam

Also add hope to spend = e.g. a roller cam
If your going stroker I'd go aluminum heads from like edelbrock or similar..... Flow alot better and will Rev harder, also less weight

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
If your going stroker I'd go aluminum heads from like edelbrock or similar..... Flow alot better and will Rev harder, also less weight

That would be great , would love , will see cost eventually, with the starr manifold not sure they're justified but to get the max out of = to see , experiment would be good and could always go another mainfold later= but you also need to be willing to/ have that coin
Nothing much will happen short term just sore some vt heads for sale ,even though I figured not worth spending thought I'd ask.