Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt versus vx -is there a difference

entcrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
hi i just bought a vt commodore has 3.8 and auto, 17inch wheels and bodykit in tundra color , i know nothing about commodores yet when my brotherinlaw lined up against my vt and i ate him! same motor and donk in both cars,
what i have noticed on my vt though on take if i put my foot down the rear wheels break traction and really spin a heck of a lot, also the heads have been off the vt id say as there been painted chevy orange and i dont think one could get such detail without removing the heads, also this car roars when you take off hard,
is there a differnce in power on the 2 models from factory, ??
the previous owner new nothing about the vt as he bought it only to resell it so dosnt know what if anything has been done
is there a way i can check to see if it has a mod chip, bigger throttle body or any other mods?
i have noticed it has a performance exhaust on it but it aint got extractors !
any help would be great as it would save me buying performance gear if it has it already
were and how do i tell if it has any mods?

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
Power difference is only 5kw ie. VT = 147kw abd VX = 152kw. Cheers

entcrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
yeh i just found it really wierd when my vt had enormous wheel spin and still overpowered the vx,
there has to be some mod somewere for that as i dont think factory specs alter that much

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
Im pretty sure the vx is slightly lighter, please correct me if i am wrong...

It depends on which series ie. 1 or 2. For example:
VT series 1 = 1551kg
VT series 2 = 1512kg
VX series 1 = 1519kg
VX series 2 = 1526kg

All weights based on exec model. As you can see, the VT lost weight between series 1 and 2, but then the VX gained weight again.

The above weight figures come from the brochures. Sounds weird, but I collect each model brochure when they come out. The only ones I am missing are the VB to VH series commodore. cheers.

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
Put it on a dyno, that will give you the answer.

I would hazard a guess if the heads were taken off it would not be to simply paint them, perhaps a cam? Does it idle slightly rough. not sure if they idle rough with a cam anymore, maybe the computer evens it out somehow...

Also popular mods are roller rockers and as mentioned previoulsy a chip.

Sounds like fun enjoy!

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
I have VT Calias S2 and VX Berlina S2. The VX is quieter, has more power and probably steers better due to different rear end on the S2. Overall better to drive although I do like the extras on the Calais.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I think you will find most of the answer lies in how well the car has been looked after over the last 10 years or so. They are starting to get on a bit now and a lack of maintenance etc will be starting to catch up with many of them.

Reaper

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Probably the S2 VT and VX's are closer then the VT S1 too S2 VT..
The S1 VT were heavier and too my shock there were many things i needed to replace that a VT S1 couldn't give me, VX's did.. Fuel pumps A/C dryer receivers radiators etc more changes then you would believe.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
i just helped my dad put a S1 VX motor/gearbox into a S1 VT and it wont start :| some wiring was different i can say that. too look at they are almost identical.

On a side note, what makes the noise like a pop and small backfire when starting then it dies. As in...Turn Key -> Engine Cranks over couple times -> engine pops and small back fire -> Silence (car sitting there not running :mad:)