Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT/VX calai footwell light

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
hey guys, just recently brought a VX calai and have just noticed my drivers side footwell globe doesnt light up. Im thinking its the globe itself but am unsure as of yet as the globe doesnt seem to "clip" into anything but that plastic bash plate.. cheers

EDIT: just did some playing around with the globe, when I put the globe in its correct spot it doesnt work, although when I hold it in a certain position the light will come on, any ideas?

Last edited:

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Thats correct, the globe holder is only held in by the plastic plate you're referring to. From the top side of the plate, it drops in the hole and then a slight turn to lock it in. The globes can be removed though without having to remove anything else. They're a T10 wedge so just hold onto it and pull straight down. You'll probably have to give it a bit of a wiggle from side to side also as they can be a little tight.
As for the light working intermittently, could be one of two things... Either the globe is dodgy and hasn't quite fully blown (try another known working one to confirm this) or the metal contacts on the globe itself where they fold over the glass and not quite in the right spot and are not properly contacting in the globe holder. You may have to flex the contacts on the globe out a little just to make sure they're getting a good contact inside the holder.
Hope that helps.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
globe is fine, but when I put it in place and lock it the light does not work. Though when I hold the globe onto the contacts it works, so seems the contacts are out of whack im guessing.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
yeah it'll b the contacts. either pry the globes contacts away slightly or in the globe holder itself close the contacts a tad so all of it can make full contact. Globes r a pain in the ass 4 a number of reasons, just another excuse 2 go LEDs lol

91svn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S sedan & 98 VT Calais
Why did I wait so long

Replacing the footwell 5w bulb with an led was a good move, as was replacing the number plate bulbs & rear garnish bulbs with leds.
Have many experienced the melting issues I've seen mentioned when using leds for parking lights?
cheers

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
wat do u mean melting? i have had some ebay 5 way T10 leds in years ago that my high beam lights started 2 melt the LEDs due 2 them being so close 2 each other thats about it. other types ive trialed and used ive had no issues with.

bgcarter1

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Series 2 Berlina 5.7/A4
I had some elcheapo LEDs in my footwells and they started to melt and flash on and off... I have since replaced them with a different kind and they seem fine. :) also have them as Parker's, number plate, interior lights including dash, mode switch, headlight switch, climate controls, auto shifter, festoon, glovebox and boot lights.