Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT/VX Lights auto on/off when locking/unlocking

Johnny_VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comm S2
Hey guys, did a quick search but couldn't find what I'm after.

I'll try to keep this short.
A mate has a VT S2 Berlina, when he exits the car leaving the lights switched to on position they get turned off after pushing the Lock button on his key.
Then when going back to the car and pushing Unlock the lights come on.
In terms of engine/electrical his car is stock so it isn't a mod that's doing this.

I have a VX S2 Exec but this doesn't happen with me.

Just wondering if it can be done on mine? I'm thinking no, but thought I might as well check with you smarties here first :thumbsup:

Thanks

hsvmad86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
As far as i know, it's got to do with the berlinas having a different level bcm, so that's why they have the ability of the auto head lights on locking/unlocking. Executives have a low range bcm while Berlina has a mid range bcm with better options. I wondered the exact same thing as you when I first bought my VX, and was told that it couldn't be done because of this. Hope this answers your question.

Johnny_VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comm S2
Thanks hsvmad. Yeah that pretty much puts an end to it haha.
Didn't think it was possible but like I said thought I'd check.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
berlina has a level 2 bcm (same as in they vy series) that allows the 15 sec duration of the lights to be displayed. unless you wanna buy a new bcm :) and for what its worth. i don't think its worth it :D

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i thought it was normal... my caprice does the same thing except my lights turn off as soon as i open my door, not when i lock the car

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
my vx exec s1 does this, and at the doors, if i open the door while the lights are on they turn off, if i turn them back on, and then lock the car they turn off again.

it is an ex copper, so unless this was an extra feature they added, i can see it being somewhat useful to a cop so maybe they did.

xtr3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 3.6L
Small ammount of experience in this field.
I own a VT S1 Berlina which didnt have the auto headlamps feature. but i had a Calais computer fitted to my car, along with the Auto headlamp switch.

Any Berlina / Calas since the VS Commodore has been able to delay the headlights from turning off after the drivers door has been opened. (Procedure below if i remember correctly)

Hop in car, close drivers door
turn headlights to off
turn car to ON
turn headlights to parkers
hold interior dimmer switch at the low position (continue holding until told otherwise)
turn car off
open drivers door (Begins timer for how long lights stay on)
release dimmer switch when your happy with the time.

To get the headlights to come on when you unlock the doors you require 3 things
Auto headlamp switch
Twilight Sentinal (Sun sensor in middle of dash)
BCM capable of auto headlamp operation.

Berlinas and above come with the Twilight sentinal in VT - VY series 1 (its also used in climate control)
Berlina VT S2 and onwards have had Auto Headlamp switches
All Calais VT and onwards have had the Auto Headlamp switches afaik

VY series 2 and onwards have had auto headlamps at the base package, so i only assume you can make the lights stay on after you get out of the vehicle, i know a VZ exec can

Johnny_VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comm S2
^^^ Thanks xtr3.
my vx exec s1 does this, and at the doors, if i open the door while the lights are on they turn off, if i turn them back on, and then lock the car they turn off again.

it is an ex copper, so unless this was an extra feature they added, i can see it being somewhat useful to a cop so maybe they did.

Yeah my lights cut off when I open the door as well.
Just thought it would be a fun novelty if it was easy to program.

Thanks for the replies guys :)