Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] VT/VX/VY Manual Conversion tips

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Ok I put the clutch pedal and master in today. Just one small problem is the cruise control switch - there doesn't seem to be any plug nearby for it. I would have though maybe a flylead coming off the one on the brake pedal but nothing. I see that the the brake pedal switch has 2 spare spade terminals on it - are they to be joined to the clutch switch? This is on a VX Calais. Cheers

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ok, so the V6 manuals didn't come with cruise control, so no connector exists for the clutch.

I did get around this by using a couple of wires + connectors, but I can't remember exactly how it works. If it detects a closed circuit when you hit the brake, then you can wire them in parallel, otherwise you'll have to wire them in series from the brake to the clutch. In the end I think I found out by trial and error - plugged it in one way, didn't work, plugged it in the other way, it did work.

To answer half your other question, the thrust bolt remains the same.

boganracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
did you need the plate that bolts to the transmission tunnel with rubber boot that the shifter goes through?

Local_hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu executive 5 speed
Hey guys sorry for digging up a old thread but will a Vt wagon manual ecu and bcm work in a vu s1 exec manual bc it has a auto vx ecu in it now and it fucks with the revs, it has no abs or power windows tho

Frankiee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vx commodore v6
So guys I got vats taken out of my Ecu so any key can start my vx but it's cranking over trying to start but than have to wait as only let me crank it over when it want to though a code but only got Ecu done 2 days ago

Frankiee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vx commodore v6
So guy having once again another problem car running and driving but got a wired noise coming from gear box and cars running like **** here a video of any one had this problem and has fix it let me know would be much appreciated it making like a gaping noise from gear box I think when driveing and iderling no power in car what's so ever it had more go when it was auto

Jos_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy l67
Ok, we did the wiring harness last night, and I got the correct dust cover for the transmission from Holden. It was $15.85 with two new bolts. Installing that was a pain, so if you do the conversion make sure you already have the correct dust cover to save yourself an hour - 90 minutes of unnecessary work :)

The speed sensor was the easiest to wire up. I had managed to find a male molex - (close-ended pins) to a small female socket used for internal computer speakers. All we had to do was widen the molex end connectors to fit in the plug for the speed sensor on the gearbox itself, and then the other ends (which were folded up) were a straight fit into the auto speed sensor plug. We taped it all up to hold it all in place and insulate it, and that was it.

The reversing lights were a bit more tedious as the plug on the gearbox is right near the top above the slave cylinder, and I didn't know if they were pins or sockets. They are pins - and we had to use female molex socket pins, and then crush them slightly to make them small enough to be a good fit. The hardest part was locating the pins in the gearbox connector as I couldn't see it, but eventually got it. I tried to take a photo with my phone (which helped clarify they were pins) but that didn't really help in locating them.

To connect the auto wiring harness to this socket, we used some electrical wire with about 1cm tinned - I don't know the gauge of the wire, but it was about 1.5mm after tinning it. These were a good, snug fit into the auto connector. It was quite difficult to plug anything into the 7 pin auto connector, but once it gets past the initial entry point it goes in easily and is a firm fit.

Then we taped it all up and tested the reverse lights - they were working. Obviously we had to take the car off stands to test the speedo but fortunately it's working fine!

Anyway, in the image I've attached you can see the correct wire colours and stuff.

ManualGearboxWiring.jpg
Hi mate sorry to be a pain but could reupload this photo

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Hi guys, here's the photo of the auto and manual speed sensor and back up switch plug diagrams from the workshop manual:

0B24eEI.jpg

Sorry I can't help with any of the other issues - did this conversion nearly 10 years ago and sold the car in 2016!

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Remember the good old days when you could go to a wreckers, grab the parts and convert your 202 Trimatic to a 308 Manual in an afternoon with a few simple hand tools? Ah, those were the days my friend.

Jesse Daniels

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy v6 Executive s2 04
Ok, we did the wiring harness last night, and I got the correct dust cover for the transmission from Holden. It was $15.85 with two new bolts. Installing that was a pain, so if you do the conversion make sure you already have the correct dust cover to save yourself an hour - 90 minutes of unnecessary work :)

The speed sensor was the easiest to wire up. I had managed to find a male molex - (close-ended pins) to a small female socket used for internal computer speakers. All we had to do was widen the molex end connectors to fit in the plug for the speed sensor on the gearbox itself, and then the other ends (which were folded up) were a straight fit into the auto speed sensor plug. We taped it all up to hold it all in place and insulate it, and that was it.

The reversing lights were a bit more tedious as the plug on the gearbox is right near the top above the slave cylinder, and I didn't know if they were pins or sockets. They are pins - and we had to use female molex socket pins, and then crush them slightly to make them small enough to be a good fit. The hardest part was locating the pins in the gearbox connector as I couldn't see it, but eventually got it. I tried to take a photo with my phone (which helped clarify they were pins) but that didn't really help in locating them.

To connect the auto wiring harness to this socket, we used some electrical wire with about 1cm tinned - I don't know the gauge of the wire, but it was about 1.5mm after tinning it. These were a good, snug fit into the auto connector. It was quite difficult to plug anything into the 7 pin auto connector, but once it gets past the initial entry point it goes in easily and is a firm fit.

Then we taped it all up and tested the reverse lights - they were working. Obviously we had to take the car off stands to test the speedo but fortunately it's working fine!

Anyway, in the image I've attached you can see the correct wire colours and stuff.

ManualGearboxWiring.jpg
Can you re post the pictures?