Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

EHVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ v6
New usb device arrived. I have it working with only one software, scantool.net but it's a trial version and limited.

ScanMaster (demo), EasyOBD v2.2, are no go for me. They are ok with the serial (com port) connection but not to the vehicle.

DashCommand appears to work but provides no data in evaluation mode except terminal log. (edit: it's called the console log)

@bozodos - From the banggood site, SKU045304 is the type that didn't work for me (VZ LE0) SKU015063 is the type that now works.

[edit2 software - PCMScan working and seems good]

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
New usb device arrived. I have it working with only one software, scantool.net but it's a trial version and limited.

ScanMaster (demo), EasyOBD v2.2, are no go for me. They are ok with the serial (com port) connection but not to the vehicle.

DashCommand appears to work but provides no data in evaluation mode except terminal log. (edit: it's called the console log)

@bozodos - From the banggood site, SKU045304 is the type that didn't work for me (VZ LE0) SKU015063 is the type that now works.

[edit2 software - PCMScan working and seems good]

EasyOBD2 use to work quite well, although, its latest updates have prevented generic ELM devices to work correctly, as they now restricting software use with only Scantool.net Cables. Funny enough, software that was "peaking" into their software found a way to make generic cables work on these restricted softwares in one of the development threads Iv been posting in.

But software that does work 100% and is really easy to use and looks great, is TouchScan.
The bluetooth will not work on ios (Iphones,Ipads ect) as Iphones use a special,restricted Bluetooth connection. Thats why any device you buy that does not say "Ready-for-iphone" and "Bluetooth compatible" will not work on IOS.
Currently (Literally), there is no ELM cable that has fully functional IOS bluetooth functionality. They all use "WIFI" to make connections to the Iphone as any application can access WIFI.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
EasyOBD2 use to work quite well, although, its latest updates have prevented generic ELM devices to work correctly, as they now restricting software use with only Scantool.net Cables. Funny enough, software that was "peaking" into their software found a way to make generic cables work on these restricted softwares in one of the development threads Iv been posting in.

But software that does work 100% and is really easy to use and looks great, is TouchScan.

The bluetooth will not work on ios (Iphones,Ipads ect) as Iphones use a special,restricted Bluetooth connection. Thats why any device you buy that does not say "Ready-for-iphone" and "Bluetooth compatible" will not work on IOS.
Currently (Literally), there is no ELM cable that has fully functional IOS bluetooth functionality. They all use "WIFI" to make connections to the Iphone as any application can access WIFI.

My bluetooth one works fine with a jailbroken iphone ;p

CommodoreHero

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
If your using an ANDROID use BLUETOOTH ELM327 ##ONLY##
But if your using an iFevice such as iPod or iPhone ect ONLY use
WIFI OBDII ELM327.

Now the biggest truck is to make sure the wifi is set up properly.

Now I use an iphone app called iOBD2 It is a green square with a whit outline in the shape of an engine. In order to get it to work
(Ps. I use an ELM327 WIFI Dongle) using that app and it's the only app that works first time every time. I had to purchase a extent ion protocol pack which allowed me to use it on any commodore. And even my wife's toyota evensis van.
It doesn't how ever work on pre 2001 cars Even if they do have an OBDII Port. I have been told that that is like an OBD1.5 where it uses OBDI software but an OBDII port.
But it works on almost everything
Else. The extended functions only cost me $24.99AU And when I purchased that was when it bought the wifi dongle.

So ANDROID only for BLUETOOTH
And
APPLE for WIFI. Works EVERYTIME.
I is my Telstra Tablet that's android for my BLUETOOTH dongle and my iPhone 5s for the WIFI. easy as 123.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
If your using an ANDROID use BLUETOOTH ELM327 ##ONLY##
But if your using an iFevice such as iPod or iPhone ect ONLY use
WIFI OBDII ELM327.

Now the biggest truck is to make sure the wifi is set up properly.

Now I use an iphone app called iOBD2 It is a green square with a whit outline in the shape of an engine. In order to get it to work
(Ps. I use an ELM327 WIFI Dongle) using that app and it's the only app that works first time every time. I had to purchase a extent ion protocol pack which allowed me to use it on any commodore. And even my wife's toyota evensis van.
It doesn't how ever work on pre 2001 cars Even if they do have an OBDII Port. I have been told that that is like an OBD1.5 where it uses OBDI software but an OBDII port.
But it works on almost everything
Else. The extended functions only cost me $24.99AU And when I purchased that was when it bought the wifi dongle.

So ANDROID only for BLUETOOTH
And
APPLE for WIFI. Works EVERYTIME.
I is my Telstra Tablet that's android for my BLUETOOTH dongle and my iPhone 5s for the WIFI. easy as 123.

Yeah the older commodores (VY and below) use ALDL for their communication unless they are an LS1 vehicle.

Great info though, hopefully it will help some fellow JC members!

CommodoreHero

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
ALDL.
Does that mean I would have to get a new cable or do you have to get a certain program to allow your OBD to be read.

Thank you for the comment by the way.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
ALDL.
Does that mean I would have to get a new cable or do you have to get a certain program to allow your OBD to be read.

Thank you for the comment by the way.
No worries mate, To read engine data from a VR/VS (V6/V8), VT(V6), VX(V6),VY(V6) you will need an ALDL cable. Its completely different to an ELM cable. Theres no special hack/software to enable the ELM to communicate over ALDL as it simply doesnt support this protocol!