Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

CommodoreHero

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
I am enquiring to the company who makes and supplies the TECH2 to request a quote for a Tech2 with
Tech 1, Tech 2 and ALDL capabilities.
Eg cartriges and so on.
Also on a sort of different not but still about my VY S2 Berlina LS1.
When I bought it the centre screen where it shows the K's and where it has the PRND321 and so on was starting to fade away so to speak.
Now this will only work under these conditions.
The odometer window is GREEN but has no text on it at all or is faded or so on.
I am unsure if it will work if the screen is black.
But mine was green with no text. I pulled it out and pulled it apart and cleaned all the contacts.
I used contact cleaner on a cuetip or ear bud. And refitted it and all the text came back clearer then ever.
I only mention this because a couple of the people who said they could fix it wanted $180 to fix it. And I bet they knew that it was just dirty contacts.
Why do people do **** like that. Why rip someone off and charge so much just because they have no idea that it's an easy fix.
So the main reason I'm adding this to this thread is to say thank you to you guys on this forum for helping us sort out our automotive based issues and saving us a fortune on mechanical repairs that with your help we can solve ourselves.
I will post this in the appropriate section aswell so as to hopefully help someone else out.

Thanks again.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I understand what your saying. If the individual knew that it was an easy fix, then yes, hes just looking for a quick pay day. But this sort of behaviour happens everwhere! Mechanics, Auto sparkies, tyre places ect.

If the screen is blank (not black) then its generally one of the SPI pins on the LCD that provides the actual communication data that has gone iffy. So you did do the correct thing in attempting to clean the contacts! Glad is was a simply solution! I would double check that there isnt a dry contact that has a fracture since you may have only temporarily fixed it incase the pins starts moving again causing the text to fade slowly!

If the window is black, this generally means either the screen has been fried, or the solder to the power pins have dried out and cracked. Either one of these two issues can be a nightmare to resolve. Even completely reflowing the pins can still leave the LCD blank as intermittent sparking can result in messing with a variety of components!
If the above is the case, then either the LCD needs replacing (which might not even be the issue!) or the whole cluster needs to be replaced. In which case, they will be programming a second hand cluster to match your clusters exact specifications.

Im not sticking up for the expensive individuals, but I can see where they were coming from. Since I can personally say from working on hundreds of these buggers, that once the solder starts to get dry and cracking.. its not always just the lcd pins thus makes it very hard, if not impossible to track down that little tiny component causing the drama! (Anyone that has looked at the cluster board knows how many tiny components are there!)

sspocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 2004
Hello

I have 2004 VZ v6 Commodore what tool is best to check codes? Can someone link me
I'm a bit lost with which one to buy as many don't work.

Cheers

vinyard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubby
Hey TazzI, Just after some advice. Iv got a VY clubby and an ELM cable, using TouchScan I can see all of the engine info on my laptop (coolant temp, rpm etc.) It just wont display trouble codes. I know I have a faulty knock sensor and it trips the check engine light regularly, I took it to a mechanic and he was able to read and clear the code ( which he said came back after a short drive) but touch scan wont recognise it..just says no DTC's and all is healthy. I have had it plugged in and gone for a drive, check engine light comes on with touch scan working and still no trouble code. It was my understanding that touch scan displayed LS1 trouble codes, any ideas or different software reccomendations? cheers mate, Vince

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hey TazzI, Just after some advice. Iv got a VY clubby and an ELM cable, using TouchScan I can see all of the engine info on my laptop (coolant temp, rpm etc.) It just wont display trouble codes. I know I have a faulty knock sensor and it trips the check engine light regularly, I took it to a mechanic and he was able to read and clear the code ( which he said came back after a short drive) but touch scan wont recognise it..just says no DTC's and all is healthy. I have had it plugged in and gone for a drive, check engine light comes on with touch scan working and still no trouble code. It was my understanding that touch scan displayed LS1 trouble codes, any ideas or different software reccomendations? cheers mate, Vince
Yeah TouchScan can read codes and shows some good engine info. But it cant read or clear "manufacture specific codes", these are codes that only scantools can will pick up unless the software specifically states that it "reads/clears" manufacture specific codes. Unfortunately, most codes that do get lodged are generally manufacture specific. I am unsure whether the "TouchScan Professional" addon provides manufacture specific code reading, I will have to consult the developer on that one!

But, you can try out a software of my own creation out if you want? It has all the functionality, fault codes and read abilities as a scantool and is suitable for LS1 vehicles and VZ V6, and possibly gen4 commodores. Feel free to grab it over at pcmhacking, it is called "Software on ELM Street". Its 100% free, it will easily pick up all faults, including manufacture specific codes! Its still in beta phase and Im still constantly applying updates an fixes since Im pushing the ELM to its complete limits to act as a proper scantool, but its the first Holden dedicated application so you can be 100% certain about its compatibility!

vinyard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubby
Legend! cheers mate, ill grab it now. Thanks for the help hey, much appreciated. You got somewhere to donate some coin for the software?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Legend! cheers mate, ill grab it now. Thanks for the help hey, much appreciated. You got somewhere to donate some coin for the software?

Nah completely free buddy. Its still a work in progress and still has a few updates to accommodate some other features and models. I pretty much got sick of reading absolute bullsh*t about what works with Holdens, only to find its essentially a scam/ripoff!
Feel free to send a pm if you need a direct link :beer chug:

vinyard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubby
Oh well good on ya man, thats awesome work you are doing and i'm sure plenty of people appreciate it, me included.. I know what you mean tho, I couldn't find anything except for a tech 2 and I didn't want to shell out $500 to read a code.. seems VY's were a bit of a c*nty model hey. an nah all good I tracked it down, I'm at work till Thursday but ill give it a go as soon as i get back. Thanks again mate, how some good karma comes your way!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So will this adapter work on a vx ls1?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151533914978&alt=web

Also whats the best software to use to do error codes and live data on the engine.

This simple comment they made in that listing tells me everything about that seller:
New 2015 Design with High performance USB Chip

haha... absolute complete **** there. There is nothing new here, Its the same rectangle elm shape as they all are. Its simply an "ebay special" cable which that Aussie seller has picked up for $6 from the ebay specials. Alot of Aussie sellers and scammers buy in 100's when these specials come out and sell off hardware that may not function in the first place.

Now, I say this alot as Im sure anyone that reads my comments knows. You get what you pay for.

The $6 cables *may* work.. although have significant connection issues, CAN protocol (what commodores use) issues and the latest issue is counterfeit ftdi chips which dont install onto any windows laptop! Not to mention the incorrect components used on the CAN line which conflict with the bus and prevent communication with the device.
I do suggest going with either an Australian seller that actually states "Holden" in the compatibility list or buy overseas and purchase a cable that is more than $12 as this is where the parts/connection and even the plastic are of higher quality.

Your welcome to test it out. But, If you buy it from a seller that can't tell you exactly what protocol your commodore uses and software that actually works with your commodore, you can guarantee that there will be zero useful "after-sale" help.

I always recommend either picking up a free license of my own software (SOE) "Software on ELM street" which can be used on all LS1 vehicles or VZ V6. This software has been developed directly from Holdens factory scantool tool so it has all the manufacture specific diagnostic information!
Or another highly recommended software TouchScan which is simply to use, connect and begin logging! (This is not free software)