Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] VT-VZ Cabin filter mod.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
As you may know pre VE commodores don`t come with cabin filters, cabin filters can be a great asset for asthma sufferers pollution worry wort's and the cleanliness of your interior as it traps dust, pollution and pollen before it get pulled into the HVAC system, they have been common place on euro cars for a long time, yet Holden and ford Australia been built in a semi arid - arid dusty country does not come with them until 2006.

for a bit of cheating here is a link to take apart he rain guard and get an idea of whats involved.
Upgrade Cabin Air Filter

Installing them requires.

a cabin filter
Many use fram CF8921 and CF8921a but this requires cutting to fit and can become messy.

After some leg work I have found one that will fit almost perfectly.
Citroen grand Picasso C4 van types will fit.

carbon activated ones an be found here, you get 2 per pack.
C4 Picasso Pollen Cabin filter C4 Grand Picasso Kit Automatic AC 47XG | eBay

Using the guide in the link You will also need to remove the windscreen wipers just pop the rubber caps of the base and use a 13mm socket to remove.

there will most likely be leaves and junk on the mesh so remove slowly and vac all the loose crud up.

clean up the mesh and install it back over the top of the Citroen filter to hold it in place.

refit guards and wipers.

Job done.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Can you source the C4's filters locally at all?

I was thinking about this a couple months back, in regards to the fact VE's had the cabin filters, but none others do, never looked into it however.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
EAI: Pollen Filters

taken from email
Yes it has 2 X (290mmX98mmX30mm) in the packaging with carbon activated.

Price is Au$32.00/set + GST + freight.

Thank you and best regards

Michael

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Well i tried to atleast pull the guard and such up to clean under there, before doing the filter, except i cannot get the stupid screw lug type things out, they do nothing when trying to 'unscrew' them except free spin.

I ended up ripping one out and braking the section of the guard where the mount is.. so i won't try that again on any others..

So how do you get them stupid things out without destroying them or the guard?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
The ones along the front closest to the engine, you can squeeze the split part in the engine bay while undoing to give the scrivet more grip, on others usually you can just turn slowly with no down force on the driver and they will come out there own, failing that, pliers.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I tried doing that, no matter what i try it failed to come out.

After trying 1 last time, i got another 1 out, albeit with pliers and such.

I've ordered the 8mm push in scrivets off ebay to replace these crappy screw in ones, as no where around Newcastle appears to sell them, which is ridiculous.

troyzv2

Reaction score
Members Ride
v2 monaro supercharged
you can use a small flat blade screwdriver or a stanley knife blade. You push the blade between the screw part and the outside ring and twist the blade till the screw part comes up.

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
carbon activated ones an be found here, you get 2 per pack.
C4 Picasso Pollen Cabin filter C4 Grand Picasso Kit Automatic AC 47XG | eBay

I ordered this (from this link, well the relisted one anyway), they sent me "blue-print" ADP152501.... the package arrived this morning. I measured them up and they are 290mmX98mmX30mm so they match the ones listed here, they're just a different brand.

I'll be giving it a go shortly, and I'll take pictures as I do it. My main worry is getting out those scrivets without breaking them. Where can I buy replacement scrivets cheaply for when I break some? I just know I will... those things are terrible.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
My main worry is getting out those scrivets without breaking them. Where can I buy replacement scrivets cheaply for when I break some? I just know I will... those things are terrible.

I couldn't find them at Autobarn or Super Cheap Auto.. i had to resort for eBay for both the correct sized scrivet type and the push-in type.

I gave up trying to put a cabin filter in, for the life of me i could not get the smaller scrivet type ones out and ended up breaking some of the surrounding plastic trying... and fiddling around with the wiper arms, etc.