Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Wagon suspension lift

Bearandpaddington

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt wagon excutive
Greeting All, I don't know if the question has been asked before (if so I cant find it) I am doing a long trip with a lot of dirt roads and a large load, and wanting to avoid the saggy ass with a wagon. I was thinking of putting a 50 mm lift kit in but I cant find anything for the rear. so I suppose my real question is can I put a lift on the rear of a wagon (independent rear suspension) without any problems ? are there any issues with putting a 50 mm lift on the wagon

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Being I have always beefed up the rears of all my Wagons,
I have always installed Pedders HD STD Height Springs
Being all IRS cars always chew the inside of the tyres out,
especially in my case, as I always carry a bit of weight in the back.
With the Pedders springs in my VE, the tyres wear nice and even now.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I investigated this when I was looking for something that wasn’t a 4WD truck, and considered a Crewman. Could not find any reference or advice regarding a lift kit. Sure you can lift the rear, but not the front, so I settled for a Cross6.
The problem for unsealed roads is not so much the clearance, but the size of the tyres that are limited by the position of the spring seat on the front struts.
Standard Cross6 is 225/55x17, so check out what is the smallest diameter rim you can fit over the brakes, combined with the highest profile tyre.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
maybe try and replicate the Adventura's setup?

although based on old info out there you can only go up 30-35mm?

similar question was "raised" here back in 2012.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/suspension-lift-kits-for-adventras.193677/

If this is a two way trip i'd be more inclined to hire a 4WD.

also wow, didn't realise how cheap Adventura's are now. Guess they all have a lot of k's

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cars-vans-utes/holden+adventra/k0c18320

I had a couple of Adventure's tagged on Car Sales, and they sold fairly quickly,
People are probably going to get out and about now after the lockdown.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I investigated this when I was looking for something that wasn’t a 4WD truck, and considered a Crewman. Could not find any reference or advice regarding a lift kit. Sure you can lift the rear, but not the front, so I settled for a Cross6.
The problem for unsealed roads is not so much the clearance, but the size of the tyres that are limited by the position of the spring seat on the front struts.
Standard Cross6 is 225/55x17, so check out what is the smallest diameter rim you can fit over the brakes, combined with the highest profile tyre.

Remember,
If you change the size of your Tyres and/or Rims,
That will change the speedo reading,
Where you may need to change the PPK in the instrument settings.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I had a couple of Adventure's tagged on Car Sales, and they sold fairly quickly,
People are probably going to get out and about now after the lockdown.

mate of mine used to have one (V8), he loved it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Remember, If you change the size of your Tyres and/or Rims, That will change the speedo reading, Where you may need to change the PPK in the instrument settings.

I should have explained better …………….. an overall equivalent sized rim/tyre combination.
And it is not only the spring seat clearance, it is also the clearance to the sill, and at full lock that can be a problem with oversized combinations.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You can buy airbags, which go inside the springs at the rear....Like the old air shocks, the more air put in them, the more load you are able to place in the back and keep the back level with the front, or higher than the front, if so desired....

Bearandpaddington

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt wagon excutive
I should have said we are participating in the "Shitbox" rally and limited to a $1000 budget for the car, money spent on brakes suspension (safety items) don't count in the budget. 30 -35mm would be plenty, and I suppose the main thing I want is stronger better suspension extra clearance is always good. Thank you for your advice
the trip from home in Bunbury, West Aust to Mackay, Queensland, to Darwin on mainly Dirt, then if the Commodore Gods so will we will drive it back to Bunbury about 12,000km in 3 weeks. couldn't have a better car for it

Last edited: