Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Water Pump Bolt Leak

antheh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Just changed my water pump for my VT and everything has sealed except one of the top left (looking at the engine) 3/8 bolts. Coolant is slightly leaking out of it.

Is there anyway shy of taking the whole water pump off again and getting a new gasket and resealing it (I did use gasket sealant/maker) to fix the problem?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
i did recently did the water pump on mine and that problem often comes from not tightening the bolts properly... remove bolt, clean and attach bolt tighten to specified torque if not then its time for the pump to come off again if your careful you might be able to reuse the gasket but i would remove the bolt clean it and then make sure its tight

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
If it's only leaking out the bolt hole around the bolt, try taking the bolt out, clean it, put some sealant on the thread of it then put it back in and torque it up to spec. Don't go overboard with the sealant though.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
These bolts go into the water jacket of th eengine and the threads are meant to be sealed with something like Loctite or similar. Most of the thread sealants need to be applied to a dry thread (the Lctite one I put on my VN required a dry thread to work) so you will have to drain out some coolant to below this level, dry the thread, fit the bolt and allow the sealant to cure if need be then refill the coolant. I'd be doing all of these boltsnot just the one that is leaking.

antheh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Yeah I went out and got a new gasket and bolt sealant and new sealant for the gasket. Only problem is now the car starts and stalls straight away.