Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Windscreen Surround

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Hi,

Just a quick couple of questions about the rubber surround around the the front and rear windscreens.

Mine is worn and starting to come away from the VT, it holds a lot of crap (leaves etc.) underneath it and looks like ****.

1) Do they serve a purpose to seal the windscreen or are they just a garnish (my guess)?
2) Can my local windscreen place replace it?

Thanks

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Is this a VT Series 1?

1) You are correct, they are just a garnish and serve only the purpose of covering up the gap between glass edge and the body.
2) Yes they can, but it'll cost, potentially a new windscreen.

Thing is, if it's a series 1 that has original glass then it's a prat of a job to fix. It's unlikely the windscreen could be saved give it's a hard plastic wrap-around inner that gets 'urethaned' in with the glass and a secondary mould clips over the top of it. Even if it's a series 2 (or series 2 mould in a series 1), it's still a reasonable job in that to fix it properly the glass should be removed, but instead of a hard two-part plastic mould, it's just a soft pliable rubber wrap around, so if the glass is in good nick, it's very doable. Just fight the urge to plug it up with silicone :)

Any chance you can post a pic?

(6 years auto-glazing experience with Instant Windscreens)

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Wow, that is a complete original series 1 set-up. Don't see them often, I (and many other poor chumps) spent literally months removing and replacing them with series 2 mouldings shortly after they came out in 97-99, one by one by one (thought we got them all dammit!). What a nightmare (and design fail) :) Not much you can do really aside spend a fair few bucks, it's purely cosmetic I can assure you. The rear is a tad more complex, but given the glass is tempered, not laminated, a much safer task for a full remove/refit.

Definitely polish up the front corners, and maybe head to Clark rubber and grab some black weatherproof foam strip. You can shove it down the corners for a slightly better look and to maybe push the mould back over the body (be careful though, the glass can crack easily). On the rear, you should be able to find some corner pieces at the wreckers to Sika on with the strip or even find the entire side strip with corner still attached, although replacing that is not a simple thing for a novice. It slides down the glass (on an inner wrap around moulding) and clips over the roof (clips aren't designed to be reusable).

Sorry the news isn't better.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
The car only has 92,000kms on the clock, I guess this is another testament that that is a legit figure!

Thanks a bunch for your advice, I'll try tidy it up as best as possible :)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The car only has 92,000kms on the clock, I guess this is another testament that that is a legit figure!

Thanks a bunch for your advice, I'll try tidy it up as best as possible :)

Holy crap, I thought I had an immaculate beasty that's amazing. In fact our cars were probably in the 'Lizbeth plant at the same time!

Sorry I couldn't be more help, it's an issue where a forum can only tell you how broke it is. I could make that puppy look a million bucks in a couple of hours (for a minor fee) but you're 1200 clicks away in my home-town.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Holy crap, I thought I had an immaculate beasty that's amazing. In fact our cars were probably in the 'Lizbeth plant at the same time!

Sorry I couldn't be more help, it's an issue where a forum can only tell you how broke it is. I could make that puppy look a million bucks in a couple of hours (for a minor fee) but you're 1200 clicks away in my home-town.

It would take you more than a couple hours unfortunately, the body shows its age a bit more than the odo :( I bought it from Sydney and drove it back to SA, has never missed a beat!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It would take you more than a couple hours unfortunately, the body shows its age a bit more than the odo :( I bought it from Sydney and drove it back to SA, has never missed a beat!

I only meant the glassware :) If it wasn't a VT I'd be interested, that'd be a very decent Eco drivetrain (assumed auto?), a great transplant car for my baby. What are you asking for it? I reckon you'd be able to sell that to an enthusiast for a reasonable buck or two, we wouldn't care about glass mouldings :)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I had the entire rear windscreen rubber surround re done on my series 1 vt ss. It only cost me $140 including removing and replacing the glass.
Is the front more involved, hence more expensive?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I had the entire rear windscreen rubber surround re done on my series 1 vt ss. It only cost me $140 including removing and replacing the glass.
Is the front more involved, hence more expensive?

That's a pretty good price. The moulds are cheap but that wouldn't cover the corner pieces as they are part of the roof/side moulds. The biggest issue with the rear was the wiggly top and bottom, they replaced the hard plastic with soft stuff. Front would be the same, if not less (as it's just a single rubber) but the risk is huge, so $140 would most likely end up being $350 when the front screen cracks.