Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt/x/y/z rear brakes on vr/s solid axle

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by markovr, Dec 24, 2013.

1. VPRob

VPRob Active Member

Members Ride:
    VP executive sedan V6
    Ah, of course the actuator is at the bottom so there is movement there when using the handbrake.
    Nevertheless I feel there may be a problem with the pad surfaces not being circular, and/or not being centred in the drum if the adjustment at the top is wound out a long way to make up for the 10mm, or so, smaller diameter that VN_SS_CM, and possibly cuzzy69 ,have on their modded shoes.

2. markovr

markovr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
    CA1B8A36-F617-451D-BC96-B796D7B9A2D0.jpeg Never had a issue it but you have to weld both shoes together while installed on hub so you get their positioning right and no Air gap

Attached Files:

3. VN_SS_CM

VN_SS_CM Member

Members Ride:
    VN SS
    Thanks Marko problem solved deiced to make a new set of pads this time making sure to double, triple check and now it works perfectly in fact too good never had a handbrake this good in 6 years lol...5 and shes not moving and that facing up hill! I purchased a new set off VN shoes and welded them to a set of near new VT shoes. I believe the other shoes are slightly out as you said as my adjuster is not as "wound" out.

4. markovr

markovr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
    Good to hear ...I always set the vn shoes as they would sit on the hub with with hold down clips springs etc and adjuster at min and slip the vt one piece shoe over the top and check for fit and get them equal spaced at the bottom and see if there is a air gap between shoes and square them up before welding them with a short run and check if the heat has changed anything and adjust if necessary to get them square and weld in another place ...check again and weld totally in 4 places...take off hub and weld on other side .then cut in half and trim