Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt/x/y/z rear brakes on vr/s solid axle

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Hey Marko, I just noticed that you had an extra set made up for your rear brake upgrade that you offered for sale about 5 years ago. Did anyone ever buy that set?
not from this site but ive sold a few on ebay and I have a few hubs in the process of being modded that i will sell eventually.. problem is to get the hubs you have to buy the complete diff however I do have one full setup finished .....also Im trying to adapt something for my sons hq as well but ill get it on the road first.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
hey marko,, just wondering,, did you used to make/sell the modified rear vt brake booster brackets to fit into a vc/vh firewall in the gen2 to gen 1 brake upgrade conversion to the larger vt front disks ????

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
hey marko,, just wondering,, did you used to make/sell the modified rear vt brake booster brackets to fit into a vc/vh firewall in the gen2 to gen 1 brake upgrade conversion to the larger vt front disks ????
yes i do ....i have a couple made up

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I was also wondering whether it might be possible/less work to start with a VT backing plate and modify that to take the earlier handbrake setup than modifying the VR hub to fit the VT calipers?
the actual bolt up hub/face is on the irs rear assembly/piece so you cant use the actual hub from these cars so to do it to a solid axle car you have to use a solid axle hub.
I know I am probably over thinking this and I should probably just get a life outside my VP and Just Commodores......
Im obsessed with brakes as I hate to drive a car that cant stop as best as it can and always run with the thought that whatever I spend if it saves me from only one accident its worth it easily.
An interest is a interest and who cares what people might say if it gives you enjoyment/sense of achievement and no one else loses anything just do it.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Im obsessed with brakes as I hate to drive a car that cant stop as best as it can and always run with the thought that whatever I spend if it saves me from only one accident its worth it easily.
An interest is a interest and who cares what people might say if it gives you enjoyment/sense of achievement and no one else loses anything just do it.
Hey Marko,
thanks for taking my remarks seriously and responding. I (largely) agree with you and mostly really enjoy my VP. It's a bit of an obsession to have everything work the way it should so that I can enjoy the limo feel and NOT feel like I'm driving an old rattler. I've sent you a message re your rear brake upgrade. Cheers, Rob.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi Marko,
how much would you charge for the modded backing hubs and handbrake shoes for the rear brake upgrade?
And Cuzzy, did you get the problem with the handbrake adjustment sorted?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Hi Marko,
how much would you charge for the modded backing hubs and handbrake shoes for the rear brake upgrade?
I have the same setup on my vp (and vr and vh)and I havent touched it since I put it in ...are you up to using your old handbrake springs/adjusters etc and all you want is the modded handbrake shoes and hubs?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I have the same setup on my vp (and vr and vh)and I havent touched it since I put it in ...are you up to using your old handbrake springs/adjusters etc and all you want is the modded handbrake shoes and hubs?

Hi Marko, sorry for not replying sooner. I've been distracted by other things. Yes, I should be OK with the existing cable, springs adjustors etc as I use the handbrake frequently and it all works now. If I get the shoes and backing plates from you I would then just need to access VT rear calipers and pads to complete the job? Is that correct?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
If I get the shoes and backing plates from you I would then just need to access VT rear calipers and pads to complete the job? Is that correct?
Yes thats right any vt to vz calipers with hoses and discs will work ...you need to round off one of the points of the hex on the adapter end of the flexible brake hose you use where it attaches to the hard line so it keys into the retaining piece in your original backing plate/shield and trim slightly the metal where the new calipers (which is a little bit larger )edge just fouls on the backing shield
If adjusted right the handbrake is better than the original one....it can be hard to get everything together ...springs and mounting hardware /shoes on the car with the axle installed....I just mount the handbrake shoes springs clips etc all on the hub off the car and take the axle out and changeover ....you have to push the shoes to each side to access the axle flange nuts.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
How much are these kits if still available?