Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt/x/y/z rear brakes on vr/s solid axle

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
How much are these kits if still available?
350 + post ....only have one set made up but I have all the parts...I’ve found the aftermarket hand brake shoes don’t fit as well over each other as the genuine ones so I use them Just the hubs cost 200 nowdays

Last edited:

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hello Marko

I have the same issue with my hand brake as cuzzy69 and cannot get it to work. Very tempted to try and adapt the banksia handbrake setup.

New handbrake cable
New modded shoes
No change though I noticed the star adjuster its almost out of adjustment I need to wind it out alot for it to touch the inside

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
2C51E094-0F23-47CF-BE86-FA714781539F.jpeg
Can you send me some pictures ....I have never had this problem and I have done more than 15. My adjuster is hardly turned out from fully in and the handbrake locks the rear wheels when it’s pulled on.i use good FACTORY original secondhand vt-vz shoes and FACTORY vn style inner shoes as they fit over the top of one another with no air gap before they are welded together.
I think the new aftermarket vt-z shoes have less metal on the inside so when welded together the shoe is too small.
I only use good factory original secondhand shoes. First picture is a set of handbrakes shoes made up and second is a set assembled on the hub showing dimensions...adjuster at minimum

Attachments

• 8490DCE5-DF16-4F04-8652-778F3AC589D1.jpeg
    8490DCE5-DF16-4F04-8652-778F3AC589D1.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Here is a pic marko as far I know it's factory.. i have backed off the cable and when you adjust it sometimes one side will lock up or when you reverse it grabs and bangs.....another one is you park on hill facing down and its its perfect but park uphill and the handbrake is useless and he lever is almost vertical lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-235324.png
    Screenshot_20200305-235324.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot_20200305-235314.png
    Screenshot_20200305-235314.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 256

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Here is a pic marko as far I know it's factory.. i have backed off the cable and when you adjust it sometimes one side will lock up or when you reverse it grabs and bangs.....another one is you park on hill facing down and its its perfect but park uphill and the handbrake is useless and he lever is almost vertical lol
What dimension is it when its not applied ...if I attempted to put the disc on the studs and over the shoes with that much adjustment on the handbrake shoes I couldnt get it on simply because its way too big.....it should be a mill under 190 at rest .How did you set it up before welding .I assemble the old shoes (less the friction material)on the hub like it would be on the car at mininum adjustment and then put the factory vt style shoes over the top and see how the fit is and take a small amount off the inside of the vt shoes so there little to no air gap between the two and if needed wind on half a turn on the adjuster to take up any air gap ...sometimes you need it sometimes you don’t ...then after making sure they are perfectly square to each other ,weld them together in 4 places ,stopping every so often to cool it down so you don’t put too much heat in them.....after doing the 4 top welds I dissemble and take the shoes springs etc off the hub and weld the other side ...then I cut them at the top so now they are two shoes clean it all up so it looks good.

Last edited:

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
I measured mine and at rest it's 180mm.... I have a spare set of banksia shoes and the inside diameter is 153mm. How is your cable adjusted?

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
I measured my VT brake shoe to VN brake shoe and its 20mm like yours really wierd....I tried to adjust it just then and its either stuck on or dusk rotor drags and when you move it back and forward it clunks

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
97A168E5-4B35-4D8B-B24A-71BFF0A70F01.jpeg
3B41FD4F-C096-4B13-8212-833B2373BD63.jpeg
I measured mine and at rest it's 180mm.... I have a spare set of banksia shoes and the inside diameter is 153mm. How is your cable adjusted?
it gets adjusted at the u bracket where the single cable stud from the handbrake lever itself joins........ so at rest when its fully off theres just no freeplay in the cable
the only other point is where the shoe sits on the bottom against the t bracket...that's the only thing that can change that at rest dimension
Does your moded shoe look like this...especially the end that seats against the t bracket

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Watching this with interest. Sounds like the problem is in the dimension of the shoes used to do the conversion: (Quote) "I measured mine and at rest it's 180mm.." Whereas Marko's are 190mm.
That assembled difference of 10mm, or 5mm per side, is perhaps outside the adjustment range at the U bracket and, even if you can achieve the adjustment needed, maybe means the shoes aren't centred around the axle. In fact if you make that amount of adjustment at only 1 point the outside surface of the brake pads won't be anywhere near circular and so won't bear uniformly on the inside of the brake drum. Possibly could be solved, at least in theory, if the T bracket was modified to split the adjustment between the top and the bottom mounting points.
That's my 2 cents worth.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
If the factory shoes are welded in the right place and the whole lot is assembled properly it can only change at the point where the shoes sit against the t bracket where the handbrake actuator lever sits above and it’s got to be a lot out ...the part that tapers on the vt shoes usually sits a couple of mill away from the end of the vn style shoe and doesn’t touch the t bracket at all.