Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt xu6 S.C remeoval

riba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0 S1
hi i have son that wants to buy a XU6, but his on his P plates and wants to take off the super charger to make it legal for him and then put it back when resale. would the engine still run alright if S.C was taken off?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I guess it could work, but you'd need to get a new tune and change alot of bits, be best to just buy a non-S/C one or get his XU6 and do an ecotec transplant with computer etc, but waste of time in my opinion.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
get an exec and buy a body kit :p

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
it will not work!!! totally different internals designed for supercharger. Plus if you took the supercharger off you would be looking straight into an open intake manifold.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
It wouldnt be worth it, you'd be paying extra money because A) its a HSV, and B) its supercharged, which you'd take out anyway.. so your throwing away money in that sense

PLUS he will still get ALOT of attention from police because they'll see the HSV badge and they'll see the P plate

If he really wants a sports car but is happy with a 6, go for a series 2 'S' - cheaper, less work, less hassles

If its the look of the XU6 that he likes, can always spend the money saved on buying a bodykit

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
It can be done but you would need a custom tune. Everything from an ecotec bolts up to the super6 as they are essentially the same except for the pistons, rods, balance shaft, flexplate, balancer, torque converter, fuel injectors, heads and lower intake manifold. Forgot to mention ecotec and l67 use the same cam but it is retarded by 2 degrees from the factory in the l67.

To do what you propose, you'd have to remove the lower intake manifold and replace it with an ecotec one. The 2 engines have the fuel injectors in different spots. You could use Yella Terra fuel rails and bung the ecotec injector boss.

Then get a custom tune and one other thing.......it will still be registered as a Forced Induction car. You'd have to get it un engineered lol

DaggaZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
its illigal to drive a car with engin modifications. removing the SC is a mod.

wait till he is off his p's

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
L67 also has lower compression ratio, so you'd end up with a really crappy Ecotec at the end of it.

By the time he's off his P's, he'll probably be sick of the car anyway. Best off saving the money and getting something average like an Exec or base level ute, then looking again at cars in a few years when he's on his open license.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Just teach your son how to act as though he doesn't know what a supercharger is and thought his car was alright because it was a V6 commodore. Either that or just teach him to act like one of those tools who puts HSV badges on an Executive if he gets any attention. I'm glad these laws never came out in WA while I was still on P-Plates. They'll be here soon enough I imagine. Then again, I never wore my P-Plates >_>;

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
its illigal to drive a car with engin modifications. removing the SC is a mod.

wait till he is off his p's

thats the stupidist answer i have ever seen to date..

its illegal to modify a car in a way to increase performance and/or modify it in a way that affects the standard emmisions.

removing the charger does none of these.

however another hurdle you will come accross above the other answers her is the fuel pump, its internal as with all vt fuel pumps and its also different to the ecotec.