Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VTII ACCLAIM rear parcel shelf speakers

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
hey all.
i am going to attempt to put 6x9 speakers in my rear parcel shelf area soon and i was wondering if someone could post a guide as to how to go about this. i already have the space but they are covered and i have no idea how to get the covers off as there are no visible screws i can see. also can someone please tell me how to wire up the head unit which is still stock and how to run the cabling etc.
also can i keep the 4 speakers running as is? or do i need to lose the rears? i would prefer to keep them as is and if so what else would i need to purchase?
cheers in advance guys.
james

Last edited:

daniel.shafran

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS equip 3.8
Hey for your head unit if you only had a single din cd played you will need to get a space shelf which fits underneath or on top of your cd player (depending on how you want to mount it), as for wireing it up, as long as it's a brand name cd player eg. Sony, pioneer, eclipes, you can you down to your local auto super cheap auto and get an adapter cable so it's pretty much plug and play! That way you don't have to worry bout messy wireing!! As for the speakers, look underneath the parcel shelf for the screws for the speaker covers... Hope All goes well

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Theres alot of stuff there mate, if youre not confident in doing this its best to leave it to the pros and pay to get it installed.

In answer to your second last question, yes you can still run all four speakers off the head-unit without any problems at all.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Firstly, are you adding an amplifier, if so, how many channels will the amplifier be?
You should be looking to match that up with the amount of pre-outs available when choosing which head unit to buy.

Secondly, are you going to retain your 4 factory speakers? and if so, why the emphasis on fitting a pair of 6x9's? If you choose to do this,(and your not adding an external amplifier) then you will have to tap into the rear speaker wires, for signal, so you still have control over the gain for front and rear. (there's no plug, as you asked, unless your reffering to a pre-out)

From what i've gathered so far ( and don't take offence) you dont know enough about car audio, to be attempting the installation yourself...

Last edited:

Slippy_Trippy

Unicorn Shepard
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II Commodore Acclaim
I've done this (pics coming).

The stock HU will not take the extra speakers, you will need either an amp or to run the 6x9s in place of your rear door speakers.

Your parcel shelf should have sections where the 6x9 usually sit (however they will not be cut out), cut roughly 1cm in from the groove. DO NOT cut along the groove as this is where the tabs for the speaker grille sits. Under the parcel shelf the metal plate blocking the hole is tack welded in 4 places so some controlled force is required to pop the plates out.

Lifting up your trim in a pain for cable running. I ran my cable out the back of the dash, along the carpet against the firewall and then down the side skirts (BEWARE TORX SCREWS!) then along the edge of the back seat. The power cable should be run outside the cabin supposedly, mine just runs through the firewall through the empty clutch grommet.

A fiddly job but I did it myself and it was only my 3rd install, maybe get some knowledge first though.

-Slippy