Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VTII + VX + VY + VZ - Remove Front Lower Control Arm Steel Sleeved Bush

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Not sure if this has been posted before but i just had to do this and couldn't find how to do it on the forum, rather then taking it to a place with a press to do it.

Tools and Stuff Required:

WD-40 or RP7 etc
Bench Vice
Hammer
2 1/2 Pipe Fitting or Socket (this is the only size i found that fits over the bush but still touches the control arm)
Beer

Steps:

1. Remove control arm from car.

2. Soak with WD-40 and let it sit for awhile.

img_0909.jpg

3. Crush the end of it in the bench vice until there is a gap all the way around (should only take 4 times to do all sides)

img_0910.jpg

img_0911.jpg

4. Put into the vice with the pipe fitting on the end and press with vice until the sleeve is inside half way.

img_0913.jpg

5. Hit with hammer a few times and bush will pop out and your free to install the new bushes, i used 2 piece whiteline/superpro/nolthane buses which just slip in over getting new press in steel sleeved bushes

img_0914.jpg

6. Drink beer :)

Last edited:

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Just as a tip to people this may not always be this easy. Nice write up Dirb but just as a warning to people when I did mine one was reasonably easy the other one sat in a 30 tonne press for half an hour resisting all attempts to remove it. Copious amounts of wd40 and patience were needed.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Just as a tip to people this may not always be this easy. Nice write up Dirb but just as a warning to people when I did mine one was reasonably easy the other one sat in a 30 tonne press for half an hour resisting all attempts to remove it. Copious amounts of wd40 and patience were needed.

Yea the main thing i found was to crush it and get that gap around the edge which frees it up a lot, trying to just push them out without doing it they don't like to move.

I've done several sets since this one for mates cars the exact same way with no problems (except substituting step 6 with Bourbon on occasion)

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I did the same ones on a VQ whilst the arm was still in the car. Bushes are pretty much the same.
Bush cutter on a pneumatic chisel and its out within 5 minutes.
Made a puller out of a piece of threaded rod, washers and a socket. Pulled new steel shell bush in with a rattle gun.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
I did the same ones on a VQ whilst the arm was still in the car. Bushes are pretty much the same.
Bush cutter on a pneumatic chisel and its out within 5 minutes.
Made a puller out of a piece of threaded rod, washers and a socket. Pulled new steel shell bush in with a rattle gun.

i doubt most people have a Bush cutter on a pneumatic chisel or even a rattle gun in most cases.

I only got a rattle gun so i found a way that worked for me since most people have a bench vice these days it seems and i wasn't gonna pay someone to push a bush out.

And as there was no write up i thought #### it i'll put my way up.

And why'd you put steel bushes back in instead of nolathane or super pro or something?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Not doubting your method man. I'd have prob done it that way if i had the arm out of the car.

Used Whiteline inner control arm bushes which are steel shelled with the poly inside the shell.

Everyone should do themselves a favour and ask Santa for a rattle gun. Just got an 18V Hitachi. Such ease. Wasn't that expensive either.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Not doubting your method man. I'd have prob done it that way if i had the arm out of the car.

Used Whiteline inner control arm bushes which are steel shelled with the poly inside the shell.

Everyone should do themselves a favour and ask Santa for a rattle gun. Just got an 18V Hitachi. Such ease. Wasn't that expensive either.

AH ok, yea i forgot whiteline do a steel shelled version.