Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU Commodore Manual Ute - Problem after Problem - HELP!

immaparko93

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I've posted a few different bits and pieces about my Commodore ute. It's a 2001 VU S-Pac 5sp Manual.

Bought it a few months ago, and one problem after another has been popping up. I don't want to beat around the bush, so i'll just list them:

- Error Code 0101 - MAF issue... how can i rectify? The intake is filthy around the MAF, i'm thinking it needs a clean? When i say filthy, i mean FILTHY. What exactly does this code mean?

- IAC Valve appears to be not responding. I put a new one in because the old one was sticking, and now this one doesn't even respond when i turn the AC on. It nearly stalls when i start it when it's cold, idles around 500rpm... all sorts of rubbish! Code 0506 is popping up... Idle speed low. Thanks to the "new" IAC :) Is there an installation procedure/step i've missed? i just put it straight in...

- Drive Train Play - Appears to be coming from the gear box or clutch.. If i take my foot on/off/on/off, it has heaps of play and a real clunk around the clutch/gearbox. Something also seems to rattle and make noise when the clutch is OUT (foot off clutch). Only audible when idling. There's a bit of oil around the gearbox... perhaps a fluid leak? Might seem like a dumb question, but could it just be low on oil? How do i top it up/refill it? Remembering its a 5sp Manual.

- STEERING! - Very annoying, Whines like you have it on full-lock... also creaks and clunks and carries on... these issues are only evident at lower speeds, such as parking or slow turning. Plenty of power steering fluid, although the power steering pump is leaking... i think it needs a new one! Might explain the the "whining".. but not the clunk. I have given the wheels a side-to-side wiggle, tie rod ends seem ok.

I think the car is great - 3.8L Eco's are great engines from what i gather, i've done oil and filter in it (plugs are a PAIN though, my sockets are too fat...)... i guess i've just bought one with a few issues! Ofcourse, these issues are never apparent when you buy the stupid things :D

Hopefully someone can help me out.
SORRY for the long post :)

Cheers!

immaparko93

Reaction score
Also,

- car seems awfully under powered. Gets to about 3,000rpm and seems like it just can't breathe enough... My old XH falcon ute hammers this ute at the moment! Should I replace O2 sensors? Not sure...

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
If you took it to a mechanic the first thing they would do is a service. That way they'd be starting with a clean slate diagnosing the problems. Then they'd work from there.

Fresh oil and oil filter.
Get some throttle body cleaner and clean out gunk around butterfly etc.
Check all your engine rubber hoses are connected properly and not split. Note the one hidden under the throttle body.
New air filter. (important for economy and breathing running right).
Clean the gunk gently off the innards of the MAF with a spray pack of special electronics or MAF cleaner. Don't use anything else. It's a delicate sensor with fine heated elements inside it.
Fit a new fuel filter.

It should get a new lease of life after this. Then you can sort the other problems.

immaparko93

Reaction score
Thanks mate, I've done all of this recently... Including plugs too... Not really impressed with the gearbox noise, will get that sorted by a mechanic. I figured if I could do it myself I'd save $$ ha! Cheers

lukel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
For the pwr steer whine start with a new pump if its leaking.
Noise when turning sounds like strut top bearings.
With the iac try disconnecting the battery for about 10 mins, may reset it.
As above you are probably best off taking it to a mechanic so he can tell you exactly what needs to be replaced.