Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU Full of Problems

Extremely slow Vu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu Commodore 2000 Utility 3.8 Litre Eco
Greetings my fellow skitz C$%nts

I come to you today with the most problematic commodore I think anyones ever owned lol,

Shes a VU Auto Ute, White 2002 Build with an eco in her

Ive spent a fair bit of time searching around these forums for answers to the following but just in case I would like to ask for some more opinions

Problem 1: Misfiring/Not starting when on low fuel/in general

Ive owned the car for a few months now and I have noticed that whenever the car gets on low fuel it really struggles to accelerate and now misfires, this has continually gotten worse to the point that now it misfires under load and sometimes will struggle to start even when half or fully full, the car cranks twice, revs up like it is about to start and then dies. I am about to change over the plugs, leads and coil packs but if there is anything else I should check please list below.

Problem 2: Fuel guage is shithouse

I know this is a common problem amongst Vt's and Vt like models but the car does not accurately display the amount of fuel at anytime, sometimes it starts off with 100kms to go and climbs, bounces around etc. this happens on a daily and only gets worse as I enter low fuel and starts dropping Kms to go when im even idling, could this be a leak somewhere or is the fuel sender/pump/dfi/mafs rooted and I need to fix/replace it?

Problem 3: Wet passnger floor

I have searched High and low for an answer for this and I still am not sure what is going on, the passenger side carpet in the ute is soaked at all times rain hail or shine, im going to check for the air con hose under the kickboard and then check the heater core, but if its none of those im all out of ideas.

Problem 4: Getting really hot but not showing

Finally the last problem I keep having is that my heat sensors show the car is running at a normal temp, however whenver i stop and get out and say wanted to open the hood, thats simply not possible because the entire front of the car is so hot it even burns to touch the latch handle.

I hope yall are enjoying your weekend while I continue to scream and throw spanners at this thing while asking why I even bought it, Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore
Been drinking and/or smoking?

My suggestion is, re=post when you are sober and straight

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Overheating issue, is your fan kicking in? I believe the VU has a two speed fan, are both speeds working?

Pull the thermostat out and see how it runs without one for a day or two. You will need one regardless, but at least rule it out.

Are you losing coolant? If yes have you replaced the LIM gaskets yet?

As for the wet floor, start by unblocking the evap drains, I believe the VU has one each side of the trans tunnel. You will need to get underneath with a torch or light. A really big long cable tie works quite well. Just try to dodge what comes out.

Nothing wrong with changing leads and plugs, as they are consumables these days. Plugs on the V6 have a shorter lifespan as they use a wasted spark system, 30k is somewhere near their lifespan. Do the leads and plugs before coils.

Work on one or two problems at a time. The above list is relatively cheap. LIM gaskets are a no brainer, if they are yet to be replaced with alloy gaskets there is a 90% chance they will be leaking.

If the thermostat is fine, and your fan is kicking in, then you could have other problems but leave that for now, and focus on the cheap repairs.

H

harrop.senator

I've been drinking myself , so I got you.

The fuel gauge dicky is the sender unit. Not starting on low fuel could be a lazy pump. I'd spend the $200 on a full OEM spec assembly with pump and sender.

The wet passenger floor is probably a leaking heater core.

The leak will also pull in air and if the heater is on or the taps gone will create a hot cooling system.

Is there coolant in it? Some sensors don't read if it's bone dry.

What's the underneath of the oil cap like? Any milk? Lower intake manifold leaks will mix the water with the coolant. Creates a miss and can also bring air locks in to the system.

Have you had an infra red heat gun on it? Read the radiator tanks , both hoses and the heads. If there's a big temperature variance something's blocked. Also will tell you just how hot she's running.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the core is leaking you will know, get the car hot with the heater off. Turn the heater on face and wait for the odour.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I know this is a common problem amongst Vt's and Vt like models but the car does not accurately display the amount of fuel at anytime, sometimes it starts off with 100kms to go and climbs, bounces around etc. this happens on a daily and only gets worse as I enter low fuel and starts dropping Kms to go when im even idling, could this be a leak somewhere or is the fuel sender/pump/dfi/mafs rooted and I need to fix/replace it?
The KMs till empty number is based on how heavy footed you are and changes on the fly. It's more of a warning than a guage.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
3&4 is your heater core, fun job to replace, best to bypass it for now. 1&2 are also linked, look at your relay and earth wires, might be time to change pump and fuel filter.

Extremely slow Vu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu Commodore 2000 Utility 3.8 Litre Eco
Greetings my fellow skitz C$%nts

I come to you today with the most problematic commodore I think anyones ever owned lol,

Shes a VU Auto Ute, White 2002 Build with an eco in her

Ive spent a fair bit of time searching around these forums for answers to the following but just in case I would like to ask for some more opinions

Problem 1: Misfiring/Not starting when on low fuel/in general

Ive owned the car for a few months now and I have noticed that whenever the car gets on low fuel it really struggles to accelerate and now misfires, this has continually gotten worse to the point that now it misfires under load and sometimes will struggle to start even when half or fully full, the car cranks twice, revs up like it is about to start and then dies. I am about to change over the plugs, leads and coil packs but if there is anything else I should check please list below.

Problem 2: Fuel guage is shithouse

Problem 3: Wet passnger floor

I have searched High and low for an answer for this and I still am not sure what is going on, the passenger side carpet in the ute is soaked at all times rain hail or shine, im going to check for the air con hose under the kickboard and then check the heater core, but if its none of those im all out of ideas.

Problem 4: Getting really hot but not showing

Finally the last problem I keep having is that my heat sensors show the car is running at a normal temp, however whenver i stop and get out and say wanted to open the hood, thats simply not possible because the entire front of the car is so hot it even burns to touch the latch handle.

I hope yall are enjoying your weekend while I continue to scream and throw spanners at this thing while asking why I even bought it, Cheers
UPDATE:

Problems 1&2 have been fixed with some new sparks, coils, new leads and dfi module, also the reason it has problems starting up was a loose wire in the immobiliser which has since been solved

Problems 3&4 have yet to be looked at, cheers for all your answers and support

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hang on to the DFI. It might be a handy spare for testing if this happens again.