Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU high idle motor gets hot fast

Fleash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 5.7
hey guys had this problem ever since i put a vx motor into my VU ute, i hit flood water at the start of the year and blew a hole in my block so did a engine swap, the vx motor idles at a steady 2k, just tap the throttle and shoots up to around 3-3500 hangs for about 2 secs then slowly returns to 2k. i have done multimeter readings on all the sensors and they seem to be fine aswell as the maf/tps/iac valve. it will run for around 2-3 mins before the engine light is displayed but my code scanner isnt picking it up. when i start the car again after it displaying the engine light it dosnt come on untill it runs for a few mins. checked for vacuum leaks with a can of carbie cleaner but to no avail. also it gets quite hot really quick, would anyone have any clue as to what is goin on or what i could try to fix it? both motors are ls1 gen 3's cheers in advance

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Did you swap any parts from your original engine onto the new engine?

Fleash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 5.7
sorry for late reply, phone wouldnt let me post. used all the bolt ons minus the water pump, ive cleaned the maf,iac valve, throttle body and air intake multiple times. i have the fuel rail and injectors for the current motor but didnt install it as my old rail with injectors was still attached to the fuel line. didnt think i would have such an issue as there both gen 3's. i had to use my old oil pickup line as the new engine was buggered. used all new gaskets as you normally would.

Fleash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 5.7
just installed new o2 sensors and made no difference also changed the coolant temp sensor as its also a known cause but no luck there. unpluged the iac valve while it was running and also on a start with a slight drop in rpm, about 2-300 rpm drop but revs would still hang if throttle was tapped. unplugged maf while running with no change in rpm also so im gob smacked with this.

Fleash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 5.7
from the original engine.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Ah ok thought it may of been from VX engine and had been mafless tuned which would explain no difference when maf was unplugged.