Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU Maloo check engine light..... HELP!

lake666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo R8
Hello everyone! long time reader of these forums, first time poste!

6 months ago i brought an R8 maloo 2001 VU. I have been battling a check engine light issue for the past month. I will start the car and drive up the road, for however long it takes for the thermostat to open, temp guage jumps up to just under half (where it has always been) and then.... BAM..... engine light comes on! fark!

So it will stay on untill i park the car and the temp drops, but as soon as it hits running temp its back on!

I have replaced the oxy sensors, TWICE! also in desperation the coolent temp sensor? what am i missing?

I had the codes read and there is nothing!

Any thoughts?

Cheers, JOE

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
:hmmm: Here is a thought... take it to someone who can hook it up to diagnosis tool(Tech2) to check what error codes it has before you start to madly change things.

Even Holden will do this for you... but prepare, they will charge you $$$.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Classic oil pressure sender switch fail, fairly common, had mine go a few months ago.

MrSirWantalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV GT-P Boss 335 & 2000 VX Berlina 5.7lt (toy)
Yea same as GEN3RATD, mine did the same thing & thats what it was. It will pay to shop around, I had no choice but to go genuine....OUCH!!!...check Ebay for pressure sender price.

lake666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo R8
THANKS FOR THE PROMPT REPLIE GUYS!

I have a new oil sender unit sitting waiting to go in actually! that was my tomorrow job.
I will be so happy if it works out i tell ya! will let you all know how it goes!

Cheers, JOE

OH, and deacon666 or whatever, please dont bother treating me like an idiot, if you had infact read my origional post correctly you may have noticed that i stated that i had the codes read first and nothing showed up. so yeah you are helpful.

lake666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo R8
OK, chucked a new oil press switch in this morning, did nothing. still have my origional problem.

I got it re scanned and got a fault this time! it was "lean on bank 2"

it looks like one of the oxy sensory is not fluctuating as much as the other, i have changed oxy sensors twice before, so i put some oxy's off of my mates ute in which work good to see what happens and i still have the same problem..... lean bank 2 engine light comes on.

Can anyone tell me where else i can go from here? it has 4 into 1 headers and no cats, but it has been that way for ages and i only have this problem now?

Any advice would be great.

JOE.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
I was going to say it is classic crank angle sensor symptoms until your lean code

MrSirWantalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV GT-P Boss 335 & 2000 VX Berlina 5.7lt (toy)
Is it idling rough Joe?. ....Idling low? Is motor standard? Mafless? I guess you may have narrowed it down to a fuel prob maybe. Only other prob Ive had like that is the O2 sensors, one was playing up....reading different to the other, but along with that I had a TPS prob because I had installed a ported & polished 85mm TB. Only way I sorted that was to get it tuned originally but now mine mafless....I wonder if you take it to a car tuner (performance) & let them run it with the software they have, they maybe able to pin point it?

lake666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo R8
Well if it helps, it is pretty stocko, its only got 4 into 1 headers, 2.5" exhaust, no cats. SS inductions maf meter, running the PCV through a catch can.

All of these mods have been on the car aslong as i have had it. (except the cats, did that the first day i got it, they hung so low i couldnt get it in my driveway!)

I did notice after messing around swapping oxy sensors and ****, that the engine light is going off every now and then?!

It runs great no matter what! engine light is purely giving me the shits, it is just annoying having to look at it and know something is not 100%

I had a feeling it could be a dicky sensor plug, i think it may have extensions on the origional plug for the oxy sensors, because of the headers.... OR.... maybe an exhaust leak at the header flange?

As far as i know, it has to be something messing up the oxygen sensor, because looking on the scan tool, one oxygen sensor is just going spastic!

Cheers, JOE

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Another common problem is the PCV hoses perishing, especially the "Y" piece at the rear.