Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU Maloo check engine light..... HELP!

lake666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo R8
checked all that horrid **** hanging off of the top of it when i did oil sender this morning..... was all good.....

Lazza78

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HBD LS1, VL calais project
hey lake666, this sounds the same as what my vt was doin a few years ago... everytime we put the scan tool on it would say it was one of the o2 sensors on low voltage.. replaced them and the prob went away for a few days and came back again.... as u said once it hit operating temp the light would come on... i ended up just dealing with it...

but..

when i got my mafless tune done about 6 months later the light hasnt come back on since

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hmmm. If you don't have any cats the Police will be able to smell you from a kilometer away. Unless they mistake you for a Toyota. :smoking:

lake666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo R8
hey guys thanks for your input so far, i still have not sorted the problem, but i have learnt some things!

I have swapped out parts left right and centre to no avail, still same problem! I will be putting it on the hoist on saturday to check for a few things, like, exhaust leaks at header flange, wiring on the oxygen sensors, and put a fuel pressure guage on the fuel rail and anything else!

i have hopes that it has blown a header gasket on the drivers side where it connects to the mid pipes, just infront of the o2 sensors. if not i will have to like at fuel issues like injectors on bank 2....

will leat everyone know what i find, hopefully it helps someone else out there!

JOE

MrSirWantalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV GT-P Boss 335 & 2000 VX Berlina 5.7lt (toy)
Hey Joe, just a stupid question. Have you replaced TPS lately or maybe the TB?? Does the TB have any type of flat spot?

lake666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo R8
Nah mate, none of that!

I hoisted it on saturday, no exhaust leaks, wiring to o2 sensors was good, but now i have got 2 more codes, lean bank 1 (was bank 2 to begin with!) and o2 sensor low voltage? WTF?

I will spend a few more hours on it then its off to have an open loop tune so i can just ### these god dam o2 sensors off forever.

Joe.

MrSirWantalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm, sounds like a bit of a bitch, if you have the money I'd surgest a mafless tune. I was hesitant at first with all the stories you hear, but now that I have it done...Im pretty happy with it actually. Theres a big difference between a standard 290hp ls1 & 400hp ls1 witch is what it is now, @ flywheel ofcourse :banstick:

lake666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo R8
Mrsir, i have just brought an otr actually and was going to get a mafless tune done (mailorder though...)

would this perhaps solve my problem?

I keep getting the same codes "lean" and "o2 sensor low voltage" but it keeps swapping around banks.......!

on another note, can anybody tell me if the wiring loom which runs above my gearbox and holds wiring for a few connections on the gearbox and both the o2 sensors has an earth anywhere which may or may not be dickie??? if so where would i find this?

Cheers, JOE

TGR 35S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
My engine light just decided to come on aswell once car is warm car runs fine still,, hope I don't have half as much fun as u did trying to find out why ,,,haven't got to my mechanic yet hopefully time this Arvo,,, I changed water pump on weekend then it started to come on a day or so after ???

MrSirWantalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mrsir, i have just brought an otr actually and was going to get a mafless tune done (mailorder though...)

would this perhaps solve my problem?

I keep getting the same codes "lean" and "o2 sensor low voltage" but it keeps swapping around banks.......!

on another note, can anybody tell me if the wiring loom which runs above my gearbox and holds wiring for a few connections on the gearbox and both the o2 sensors has an earth anywhere which may or may not be dickie??? if so where would i find this?

Cheers, JOE

Hey Joe, well the real reason I got a mafless tune was due to a few reason and they were, engine light coming on, idling rough/lower than normal, I had the same codes come up as urs however the tuner said that my o2 sensors were shot & my new TPS was not in sync with the oversized TB.

As far as the mafless tune goes...... I guess the difference between mailorder & a tuner is the fact that the tuner has everything in front of him & with all the figures in front of him whilst the car is running could be the difference. What Im trying to say is that if all that is in front of him theres every chance he may find the engine light problem as well as fine tuning everything. Since my mafless tune I have had NO such issue since & its been over 12 mths now.

On the other hand Joe another ECU might just do the trick.....I guess it all comes down to money