Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU SS Belt Squeal ??

JamesVUSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S1
Hi would any one here now whats goin on with my car lol i got a VU SS Series 1. i snaped a power steering belt a few weeks ago and got a new one put on but about 2 weeks later the belf started squealing on start up in the mornings and would go away after about 5 to 10 min. Took the belt back and told them what was goin on they said it was faulty so they gave me a new one, the noise was gone but 2 weeks later its BACK again lol it only does it when its cold. It would be very unlikly to be anther faulty belt wouldnt it could it be a pully but that still doesnt explain why when a new belt is on its gone then after 2 weeks its back, and just so u know the belt is not sliping

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The squeal means it is slipping. New belts will generally need tightening again after a couple of weeks. The other explanation is that your pump is on its way out.

JamesVUSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S1
How can u tightin the belt in these things isnt it like auto tighting

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
yeh mine does this at high RPM

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Do you think the squeal may be coming from your idler pulleys, its a very common problem

JamesVUSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S1
it might but it would do it all the time wouldnt it and plus i took the belt off and they seems to b spinning normal but the car was stone cold

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
it might but it would do it all the time wouldnt it and plus i took the belt off and they seems to b spinning normal but the car was stone cold

The grease inside the bearing softens up when the car is running and the squeal goes away, sooner or later it will f^&* the bearing.

Put some talcum powder on the belt if the noise comes back I would say its your idler pulleys :thumbsup:

JamesVUSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S1
i just strated it this mornin and it not as bad just sounds like a ticking noise sum where on the belt

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
i just strated it this mornin and it not as bad just sounds like a ticking noise sum where on the belt

A brand new belt should make any noise unless the belts faulty

JamesVUSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S1
i just took the belf off again this mornin and all the pullys had a build up of grease on the side where the belt sits i cleaned all the grease off from there and put the belt back on n the noise was gone hmm whats a good quilty belt to get should a get a genuine one or ?? and what is good too clean the pullys with i heard that dereaser can *** the belt upp ??