Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU Steering Slip

woodyteacher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS LS1
I've got an '02 VU SS with an LS1. I recently replaced the steering rack - old one was leaking - with a reco from eBay. That was about 2k km's ago. I've now just found a new problem with the steering. With the motor running, turning the wheel either way and with the first sign of resistance the steering wheel feels like it slips about 10 degrees. Turn the motor off and repeat the movement but this time the steering wheel feels tight as it should - no slip. I have checked the rack - not loose, checked the rod ends - no movement. I'm thinking it's an issue with the rack, but I can't find any similar cases on the forums to compare with. Could there be a pressure relief valve in the rack that is releasing too early ? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
I see the problem being ebay and the wording rebuilt. At around the 180,000 k mark we had ours replaced with a reconditioned Pedders rack. I think we paid $275 and fitting but that was 6 years ago.