Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU steering wheel controls with a VY steering wheel

Anuva1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VU HBD & Holden WH statesman S1
Just wondering if it is possible to get steering wheel controls to work with a VY wheel in my VU done it before in a WH with plug and play method but using standard wiring that came with radio included was a steering wheel control ground mute key 1 & key 2 is this possible with what I have thanks

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
You need to be a bit more specific, are you trying to use stock VU stereo? The factory switches use resistance to tell the head unit which button is being pressed, so yeah of course you can use a VY wheel in your car, if stock unit you’ll need to adjust the resistance ladder to suit. If after market just find the option to map the functions if it has one

Anuva1

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a aftermarket pioneer headunit one with apple car play and know it has the functionality to have steering wheel controls should I just run wiring to the two wires if the controls as they plug in different to a vu the VY wheel has the horn and controls in one plug for me

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You should be able to use VY VZ buttons with the corresponding module to the headunit.

AFAIK all models will require the relative steering wheel control module to the headunit.

Anuva1

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would of liked to Ute ISO to Pioneer but the original owners decided to completely cut the factory radio plugs off for both the radio controls and the radio plug itself so maybe I could re wire it to the new plugs themselves.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I would of liked to Ute ISO to Pioneer but the original owners decided to completely cut the factory radio plugs off for both the radio controls and the radio plug itself so maybe I could re wire it to the new plugs themselves.

Hate it when people do that. You could wire it direct or find a wreck, grab the plug and match the colours

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s easy enough to recrimp and put iso connectors back on. There are plenty on eBay. Cheap too.