Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU Ute Cruise Control not working after LED tail globe install

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
My flatmate is having issues with the cruise control on his car not staying on, it seems to be tripping out almost straight away.

He has just put in some new LED globes, so perhaps the globes are dodgy? He does drive around with his parkers on, so maybe there is some sort of crossed circuit between the parkers and brake lights, thus causing the cruise control to cut out thinking the brakes are applied?

He did mention it happened ages ago when the trailer wiring harness was shorting out, but that is ok at the moment..

Any ideas I can pass on to him?

Thanks.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
what car? he will either need to just change back to regular globes or wire in some load resistors on the brake light circuit.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
The globes provide resistance or something to tell the cruse when the brakes are applied. The best way around it is a trailer resistor you can get at sca. They are designed for exactly this so should help perfectly. SHOULD only need one side...

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
the cruise control has its own brake switch so it doesn't matter what globes or led used

if there is no issue with the CC itself and if it's an auto that's where i'd start looking

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Put normal globes back in and see if it does make a difference.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Its a T56, but you're right I just tell him to put the normal globes back in.

I didn't have the heart to tell him they made no visual difference at all from the stock ones when looking at them.

I might even sneak out there tonight and change them over myself, it will be interesting to see if he can actually pick the difference... hehehe

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
the cruise control has its own brake switch so it doesn't matter what globes or led used

if there is no issue with the CC itself and if it's an auto that's where i'd start looking

Turns out he had emailed the company that sold them to him and they said that its been happening allot, and a resistor is needed.

Gmelbourne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I had the same problem when I replaced all my globes with L E D globes.

Easy fix is keep the normal globe in the high mount centre brake light.

Also, when using LED globes in the indicators, change the flasher unit to an LED compatible [Narva] unit. [ available at Bursons etc ] No need to muck around with resistors.