Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU Ute Rear Springs

Kyle1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6 Commodore
i have just purchased a VU Ute, and the ass end is way too low. so i need to source some rear springs, not enough info online about compatibility so i've come here, in hopes to get an answer! what springs can go in the rear? VT? VY? VZ? VX? etc etc and are the sedan springs the same as ute springs, or are there differences? thanks in advance!

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Ute and Wagon springs are different to Sedan.
If you put a standard sedan fe2 spring in a ute it will sit lower than an fe2 from a ute/wagon.
If you fit lowered springs fit a lowered shock. Standard springs fit a standard shock.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ute and wagon springs are stiffer, due to the extra load they are designed to carry.....The old trick to lowering a ute or wagon was to throw sedan springs in.....

VT through to VZ springs all fit in

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SS Thunder Ute 6ltr V8 manual
just put new King Springs to suit your ride height, they are stronger and will help with load carrying

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I hate Kings, they are way too harsh from my experience.

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SS Thunder Ute 6ltr V8 manual
I was pretty impressed with mine when I carried a big load of heavy sand and turf to the tip...My opinion a ute should be able to handle the load it is designed to take.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Load carrying is one thing but need to have some level of comfort as well, unless you carry heavy loads full-time. Might be different on IRS utes but with live axle, really stiff springs unladend are just awful. I hear the FE2 is a good comprimise. When I used Kings the ride was harsh for nearly 12 months. After that with some flexing the springs they did soften up. But I won't buy them again. IMO they are cheap for a reason. I have heard they can do custom and make them easier on the back but not sure if you need to go through a third party to order the custom ones.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't know for sure if they work on IRS but a softer ride coupled with air bags is the way i am planning to go. That way you save your back on rough roads like we have down here. Just add some extra air if you need to carry something heavy.