Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vu v6 Auto towing

simmi1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S pack ute
Hey,

I have a 2002 Vu ute with a v6 and Auto in it. I have revently gotten into hillclimbing and want to use my ute to tow around my Alfa. The Alfa weighs 1000kg and the trailer im looking at weighs 400kg. I have got my eyes on a 1600kg towbar for it and was wondering what these are like to tow with. Ive heard the Autos arent always up to it but the way i see it is if its only towing 1400kg on a 1600kg rating it should be ok shouldnt it?. Im going to put a a tranny cooler on it and maybe beef up the springs for good measure. Do yu guys think its up to it and has anyone had any experieces towing with these autos?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Luke

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I've towed around 1400kg with my v6 auto wagon. I have the factory 2100kg tow ball but that shouldn't change anything.

You'll struggle on take off but once you get rolling it's fine. Your transmission will be hating life bit get a decent cooler and it'll be fine. A lower ratio in the diff would help this, but isn't necessary.

Hd springs are also a good idea. I have Hd king springs in my wagon and it barely dropped.

I would also recommend getting electric brakes on the trailer, as stopping was really hard with the added weight, and if you had to stop suddenly you would be stuffed.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Husky is on the money. Big trans cooler (change fluid at thew same time). Heavy duty springs, and look if I was towing that weight I'd also put poly bags in. Just to make sure it's always level. Also as husky mentioned, a good brake controller if you're trailer has electric brakes. And that should do it

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
Husky is on the money. Big trans cooler (change fluid at thew same time). Heavy duty springs, and look if I was towing that weight I'd also put poly bags in. Just to make sure it's always level. Also as husky mentioned, a good brake controller if you're trailer has electric brakes. And that should do it

Well said, i agree completely with this. My old man tows around his 1600KG Boat and trailer combo with just an auto cooler and it runs perfectly, its a little slow but it towing its own weight and then some and all is ok. If you want a little more pull down the track there are a couple of places that do cam packs for towing that have great results.

simmi1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S pack ute
Well said, i agree completely with this. My old man tows around his 1600KG Boat and trailer combo with just an auto cooler and it runs perfectly, its a little slow but it towing its own weight and then some and all is ok. If you want a little more pull down the track there are a couple of places that do cam packs for towing that have great results.

Hey,
Thanks for the feedback guys, so ive heard tostart off in 1st to take off and only leave it in 3rd and not touch overdrive, is that right? Also to get a v8 trans cooler?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
trans cooler, the biggest you can, get it plummed to bypass the in radiator cooler. I would add for that weight you will need a braked trailer, also upgrading the brakes on the car, discs, pads and definitely the fluid, braided lines would help.

It is not the getting moving that is usually the problem, it is the stopping that should be considered above and beyond all else.

As far as leaving it in 3rd, my trans mechanic says that the best thing is to drop it down to 3rd manually before a hill or incline is best.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I've always been told that manually shifting Down was really bad for an auto. Shifting up is ok though. When I tow I leave it in drive and turn power on.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
OD is fine to use but only when there is little load on the drivetrain, eg: on a flat stretch of road, downhill, slight inclines. Use PWR mode for towing, changes the line pressures to a higher value in the trans and changes the gear shift points to be more suitable for towing.

As said above, manually drop it back to 3rd for going uphill (generally before you hit the incline so it's not already under stress), same as a manual... would you try to pull that weight uphill in 5th or 6th? (although the auto will drop back by itself holding it in 3rd will stop it switching between 3rd and 4th to much until you are over the crest)
The pcm controls all the gear shifts depending on throttle position, rpm, speed and essentially works out the load and what gear it should be in but just to help it out and look after your car and help maintain it then this is a good practice to get into.

It's a good to service the trans (and other drivetrain components) more regularly than standard service intervals if the car is used for towing on a regular basis.

Last edited:

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I know its a bit of an old thread, but just wondering how you went with your towing?
I am currently pulling 2000kgs of trailer and excavator with a VT wagon v6 auto with 2-400kgs in the back and mine hates it!! Its ok when moving but getting it moving is causing me issues, like average fuel is sitting around 25L/100.
Seriously looking at lower diff gears and "stage 1" cam as the missus wont let me get a proper tow vehicle in the near future