Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VU V6 Engine Overheated

Ikcarney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Ute
G’day lads

My brother was out of town last night taking the old man to work. He borrowed my VU Ute. He called me on his way back in telling me the engines overheating and he’s driven as far as he could before it’s died on him (probably not a wise decision I know), which ultimately led to smoke pouring out under the bonnet. The problem was a heater hose had split, spewing out all the coolant and ultimately running it both hot and dry.
We went back out today to where it was left. Replaced the heater hose that had split, refilled the coolant, but to no avail as I think the problem has escalated internally.
The Ute’s engine wouldn’t ignite/fire. The battery was fine, we even tried to jump start it, and tried roll starting it as well being a manual.
Both attempts didn’t work.

I’m trying to determine what’s happened? Whether it be something with the starter motor, fuel pump, ignition or something else, hopefully the engine hasn’t gotten too hot and seized
It wants to turn over but won’t fully ignite.

We got it towed back to his joint. I’m going there this arvo to look over it.
Any help is appreciated lads.

Unfortunately I can’t upload the video of it trying to start.

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Speaking from experience, the engine is toast man.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It sounds like it warped the heads and blew the head gaskets. Fair effort for a full cast iron engine.

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I drove my vx for 20km overheated (regret it) just as I got home the radiator burst but engine never seized and so far it's been fine for 40,000km and burns no oil and no oil in radiator but I would never do that again. Still not sure why it overheated because around 10,000km before it overheated i had thoroughly flushed out the radiator and replaced thermostat for preventive maintenance and it still happens to me :(

Ikcarney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Ute
I drove my vx for 20km overheated (regret it) just as I got home the radiator burst but engine never seized and so far it's been fine for 40,000km and burns no oil and no oil in radiator but I would never do that again. Still not sure why it overheated because around 10,000km before it overheated i had thoroughly flushed out the radiator and replaced thermostat for preventive maintenance and it still happens to me :(
I’m thinking of getting it properly looked at. Do you think it’s worth doing?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Honestly if you're getting it looked at get him to have a quick squiz to confirm it's dead and quote up for a second hand engine fitment. Don't mess with that engine. It could have rubs on the pistons and will be $5k or more to repair.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Bother broke it, brother bought it :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition