Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aidan Etherton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu Ute Spac 3.8 eco
hi all so i have a vu ute powered by a stock ecotec, im just lookingg to do a few tasteful mods as its my daily drive im thinking extractors and high flow cat and catback exhaust along with a cold air intake and pod filter plus msd coil packs, my question is what would be the best exhaust set up? Obviously pacemaker extractors are the way to go but should i twin cat and have a full twin system or should i just go the basic 2.5” catback from a single high fliw cat, i dont want the car to drone i just want a little punchier power and a nice sound dont want it too loud

Liam Whelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU Commodore Ute 3.8l V6 Auto
I recently had a set of Pacemaker extractors/headers installed. The installer went with a single high flow Cat (left hand side of transmission) and single 2 1/2" Redback system with the standard OEM twin muffler set up.
I'm pretty happy with the results. There is a bit of a drone in the exhaust below 2000rpm, if you leave the transmission in drive, but I have been running around in 3rd gear at about 80-90kph to stop this.
What I have noticed is that the engine response after I had the extractors and system installed was a little fluffy and slow to respond until the engine was turning at least 2500rpm.
The addition of a Mace Engineering re tuned PCM and 69mm throttle body has sorted this out.
Engine throttle response is now immediate and crisp.
PS. I'm not running on anything less than 95RON with this kit now.