Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VW Vs EPA drama ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
We do get that you are being deliberately obtuse.

LOL! I'm honestly, genuinely not. I just completely understand how the situation has eventuated, and why. And I still think it's very creative and clever.

Another example:

"Get me from Melbourne to Sydney cheaply"

"Done! Here's some walking instructions and a bottle of water you can refill for free along the way"

"But I don't want to walk"

"Ah, well why didn't you say EXACTLY what you wanted in the first place"

I.e.

"You have to be able to meet the requirements of this test"
"Done"
"Oh we meant in the real world"
"Well why didn't you say so to start with?"

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
LOL! I'm honestly, genuinely not.

You do realise that the defeat device used is illegal right?

So they didn't pass the test anyway.

Honestly, I've seen some stupid posts but your continued arguing just makes you look stupider with every post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_device

A defeat device, as defined by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), is any apparatus that unduly reduces the effectiveness of emissions control systems under conditions a vehicle may reasonably be expected to experience.[1][2]

The term originates from the US Clean Air Act,[3] and refers to anything that prevents an emissions control system from working.[4] The EPA has taken numerous enforcement actions against companies that have deliberately, or through error or negligence, allowed defeat devices to interfere with pollution controls at power plants, in motor vehicles, and elsewhere. Aftermarket car parts and accessories, such as exhaust or fuel system modification components, which affect emissions, are considered defeat devices.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
"unduly reduces the effectiveness of emissions control systems"

Um........ LOL! OK. And where's the clause that addresses increasing the effectiveness of emissions control systems?

I'm going to stop going around in circles now, just for those people (not me!) that don't get it, haven't ever got it, and never will get it. I'm done with this, now pointless, thread.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride

Um........ LOL! OK. And where's the clause that addresses increasing the effectiveness of emissions control systems?

I'm going to stop going around in circles now, just for those people (not me!) that don't get it, haven't ever got it, and never will get it. I'm done with this, now pointless, thread.

The emissions controls are reduced - on the highway.

I even linked to a wiki article that has similar judgements in it.

I bet you're done, don't forget to wipe the egg off your face.

Also in 1996, Ford reached a consent decree to spend $7.9 million to address a defeat device on 60,000 1997 model year Econoline vans which used a "sophisticated electronic control strategy designed to enhance fuel economy", disabling NOx emissions controls while the vans were driven at highway speeds, a circumstance not occurring during lab testing to verify emissions control compliance.[9]

In 1998, the EPA announced fines totaling $83.4 million against seven heavy truck manufacturers, the largest fine to date, which evaded testing by shutting down emissions controls during highway driving while appearing to be in compliance during lab testing.[10] The seven, Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Mack Trucks, Navistar International, Renault Trucks, and Volvo Trucks, also agreed to spend more than $1 billion to correct the problem.[11] The trucks used engine ECU software to engage pollution controls during the 20-minute lab tests to verify compliance with the Clean Air Act, but then disable the emissions controls during normal highway cruising, emitting up to three times the maximum allowed NOx pollution.[

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

The only reason this thread has become pointless is you.

And the only one who "doesn't get" is you.

Really Raj, I've seen you adopt some controversial stances in other threads over the years, and admired your ability to defend them, but this is without doubt, the stupidest, most obstinate and indefensible stance you have ever adopted.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Well, on this one old son, you are on your own.

Edit: Obviously, my opinion only and no more or less "right" than yours. I suggest we all wait and see where this goes. It's just that most of us on this thread believe there is enough evidence at present to indicate that VW did something highly illegal and is about to pay the piper.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm beginning to think that Raj understands where everyone else is coming from but has dug himself so deep into his stance hole that he just can't climb out and admit defeat.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
To me, they passed the test and got the EPA certification; no discussion about that. The test itself is flawed and is a joke. VW just proved that with a software change (device, what device, was just programming).

Now, they are running like chickens with the head chopped off because they got defeated on their own scam. Read a report that other car manufacturers been doing the exact same thing for years; one more than another, but they all "cheated". I bet Oz does not have the same restrictions like California. Have any of you ever touched a California car? When you open the bonnet it says clear "Meets all the Emissions Test for 49 States"; that means the vehicle will fail with California standards. In their emission control system, is used an air pump for the Catalytic Converter. Heck, some G8/VE drivers cannot have Long Tube Headers and they have to settle for Shorties to pass their test. Even the PCM is re-flashed to get the Smog Check; once is done, back to the tuned version. I have seen people around, where I live without a Converter, just straight good ol' pipes, not even a muffler.

emissions_cert.jpg

Guys, we are good at propaganda and litigation.

You need to worry about this more than VW cheating the CARB a flawed test.

stromboli_57612m.jpg

Famous for its regular fireworks since Ancient times, Stromboli is one of the very few volcanoes in the world that is in near-constant activity.

iceland_i51447.jpg

The steam plume, full of acid gasses (SO2, HCl) is bent towards the NE. (Photo: Tom Pfeiffer)

recentvolcanicerrupt.jpg

Volcanic Gas
Magma is molten rock containing dissolved gases that are released to the atmosphere during an eruption and while the magma lies close to the surface from hydrothermal systems. The most abundant volcanic gas is water vapor; other important gases are carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, sulfur oxides, hydrogen sulfide, chlorine, and fluorine. The gases are transported away from vents as acid aerosols, as compounds adsorbed on tephra and as microscopic salt particles. Sulfur compounds, chlorine and fluorine react with water to form poisonous acids damaging to the eyes, skin and repiratory systems of animals even in very small concentrations. The acids can destroy vegetation, fabrics and metals. Atmospheric veils of dust or acid aerosols caused by large-volume explosive eruptions can effect regional or global climate.

Most volcanic gases are noxious and smell bad, but they can cause mass fatalities. An rare case of mass deaths by volcanic gases in 1986 at Lake Nyos, in Cameroon, West Africa. Tons of carbon dioxide spilled out of Lake Nyos, and flowed silently down a canyon and through 3 village occupied by 1700 people. They and 3000 cattle died instantly from lack of oxygen.

Carbon dioxide emissions are now being monitored at Mammoth Mountain, California.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
To me, they passed the test and got the EPA certification; no discussion about that. The test itself is flawed and is a joke. VW just proved that with a software change (device, what device, was just programming).

Now, they are running like chickens with the head chopped off because they got defeated on their own scam. Read a report that other car manufacturers been doing the exact same thing for years; one more than another, but they all "cheated". I bet Oz does not have the same restrictions like California. Have any of you ever touched a California car? When you open the bonnet it says clear "Meets all the Emissions Test for 49 States"; that means the vehicle will fail with California standards. In their emission control system, is used an air pump for the Catalytic Converter. Heck, some G8/VE drivers cannot have Long Tube Headers and they have to settle for Shorties to pass their test. Even the PCM is re-flashed to get the Smog Check; once is done, back to the tuned version. I have seen people around, where I live without a Converter, just straight good ol' pipes, not even a muffler.

emissions_cert.jpg

Guys, we are good at propaganda and litigation.

You need to worry about this more than VW cheating the CARB a flawed test.

stromboli_57612m.jpg

Famous for its regular fireworks since Ancient times, Stromboli is one of the very few volcanoes in the world that is in near-constant activity.

iceland_i51447.jpg

The steam plume, full of acid gasses (SO2, HCl) is bent towards the NE. (Photo: Tom Pfeiffer)

recentvolcanicerrupt.jpg

Oh god it's US Raj!!!!!!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
To me, they passed the test and got the EPA certification; no discussion about that.

well, they didn't and that'd be the problem son.