Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx 02 Calais v6 Electrical issue (horn, wiper, indicator etc going off)

Raz R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 V6
Hello everyone.
I've been trying to diagnose this issue on my car for a while and I'd really appreciate if you guys can help me at all.
The Issue:
Currently, when I try to use the Climate Control module (which starts on A/C by default), it triggers the horn (constant), wipers, indicator, radiator fan, power steering loss and all the interior lights to go off. But when the A/C button is pressed to turn off the car goes back to normal.

I tried OBDII but found of this version of the car supports ALDL with OBDII connector.
So if you guys know any ALDL bluetooth scan tool, please kindly share the link.

I did get fault codes from jumping the OBDII connector, (I do already have ABS, TRAC OFF, engine, oil and SRS light on)
Following are the codes:
0113 Air intake sensor
1255 MAP
0101 MAF
0342 Camshaft position sensor
0200 fuel injector
0164 HVAC no comms
1571 Electronic break Control

I did spend a couple hundred to change the ABS as an electrician told me to but I had no luck there.
Do you guys think the problem is only linked to the faulty sensor or is there anything like PCM, BCM or ECU that needs replacing or could this be a ground wire issue? (all the fuses are OK in both boxes)

Cheers for taking the time to read, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you tried swapping the relays for fan and A/C. Are the radiator fan coming on with the a/c.

Raz R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 V6
Have you tried swapping the relays for fan and A/C. Are the radiator fan coming on with the a/c.
Yes I have tried that too.
Also, when the "Everything goes off" bug happens after a/c is turned on, the red trip computer light near mode button goes to constant red.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ok, is your key fob getting good contact to the slip ring around the ignition, also the wires on the slip ring still have solid joins. Maybe its worth swapping the climate control over to check if its not faulty, and go from there, at less it councils out that.

Raz R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 V6
Ok, is your key fob getting good contact to the slip ring around the ignition, also the wires on the slip ring still have solid joins. Maybe its worth swapping the climate control over to check if its not faulty, and go from there, at less it councils out that.

I'll check that out tomorrow.
I've had problems with my key about a year ago when I need to lock and unlock the car a clue time before starting.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
VT - VX The BCM may electronically lock up or freeze (caused by voltage spikes), which may restrict starting, locking and unlocking etc. Some BCM's were returned under warranty because of these issues. In some situations, the key reader circuit ban be a potential source of a voltage spike, and a grounding patch harness was released to reduce this occurrence.

http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthre...T-VX-VY-VZ&s=b4d57f31afd54ec9d0880ca4a87ddfc5

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
most likely a faulty ecc (climate) module corrupting the communication lines

Raz R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 V6
VT - VX The BCM may electronically lock up or freeze (caused by voltage spikes), which may restrict starting, locking and unlocking etc. Some BCM's were returned under warranty because of these issues. In some situations, the key reader circuit ban be a potential source of a voltage spike, and a grounding patch harness was released to reduce this occurrence.

http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthre...T-VX-VY-VZ&s=b4d57f31afd54ec9d0880ca4a87ddfc5

So, I've tried another ECC module but the problem is still there.
With the ECC module removed the car has started to randomly go off into that mode.
The engine keeps running but non of the electronics really work.
I tried starting the car with just the metal key, not the full housing, meaning not making that ground contact and the car still started.
So if this issue is being caused by the key reader, how can that be diagnosed?

Raz R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 V6
When you replaced the ABS did the last 3 numbers match your old one?
It sure did. I replaced both the pump and the module.
Currently im running the car with the abs fuse out. which has surprisingly cleared all the engine codes.