Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx 3.8 ecotec into a hilux .... bcm dramas

philmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden hilux
Hi guys my name is phil and i would first like to say what a great knowledgeable site and forum you are running!
I have searched, searched, searched the Internet and this forum so please don't burn me with try searching! Lol
I have a VX commodore donor vehicle have transplanted engine into my hilux, mechanically it is perfect. No issues. Electrically I cannot get it to run. What I really need is a wiring diagram for a VX 2000 model commodore and someone to explain to me which wires are required to make it run (BCM), I realise there are many pics and diagrams online, but due to most people's upload limits the pictures are blurry and I cannot make out the colours properly.
I am an electrician by trade (not auto) but I can read diagrams, but everywhere I look people say just get Key, ECU, BCM as most people are just swapping commodore to commodore.... obviously I'm chasing something different but any help would be appreciated as I need the truck running by Tuesday .... dreaming lol
Please please don't send me anything that would help a thief steal a car!
If you are unsure if it would help a thief by all means pm me.
Thank you so much in advance guys .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Try the PCMHack forum, those guys have all the knowledge when it comes to these kinds of engine swaps and Delco PCM's.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The BCM needs to make contact with the transponder in the key head to let it start, the Hilux doesn't really have the hardware to do this unless you wanted to throw the VX ignition barrel and all that associated crap in the Hilux which isn't really an option.

Get a tune that doesn't have VATS enabled and you can ditch the BCM and Commodore key all together. The1 and Delcowizzid on this forum can do it for you, or PCM hacking as mentioned above.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
I did a series 1 vn v6 into an ln65 hilux...didnt use anything other than the ecu. Not sure how differnt the vn and vx vats systems are? But the bcm shouldnt be needed at all. I just bought a workshop manual for both vehicles and pieced the looms together....or check out marks4x4 adaptors. I think they do harnesses for conversions

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VN and VX are totally different.

philmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden hilux
I am willing to put the bcm and the slip ring but cannot find a drawing clear enough to see which wires are reqd

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just get rid of them, it's a lot easier. Pretty much everybody resorts to this when they do the conversion because it cuts a degree of complexity out.

If it's security you're worried about, put something else in.

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
The BCM needs to make contact with the transponder in the key head to let it start, the Hilux doesn't really have the hardware to do this unless you wanted to throw the VX ignition barrel and all that associated crap in the Hilux which isn't really an option.

Get a tune that doesn't have VATS enabled and you can ditch the BCM and Commodore key all together. The1 and Delcowizzid on this forum can do it for you, or PCM hacking as mentioned above.

I would agree this is the easiest way to go replace the memcal with one that the VATS are removed, they do sell these on ebay as well

VN and VX are totally different.

They are different but with the above mode the setup is really the same (do the same steps)

Having said that if you are still keen on trying to get the wiring then try
Holden Commodore VT 1997 - 2000 Workshop Manuals / Factory Service Manuals
They have free to download manuals, the one above i used for mine and i am guessing the vx would be the same wiring as it changed more in the vy-vz models. They may have one for the vx I'm not shore as i pulled this link out of my saved links, have a look anyway it may help hopefully

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
Just looked further into it and it seems vt was the last of the removable memcals except in the L67 models so you would have to get a tune with the VATS removed if you wanted to go that way

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You could go down the VS or VT ECU and loom path. Those forum tuners will do it for you via mail too.